TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the new thread but my post in an old one wasn't getting noticed..... :(
Hello everyone! It's been awhile since I've posted, cause my computer crapped out, but still been trying to keep up with everything.

So I came across an old thread and I'm having issues with my 97 Cougar heat as well. There is none! ;) This passed Sunday, I replaced the heater core because the heat went out last winter and it was leaking all over the floor. From my research, it was a pretty obvious diagnosis. Today I replaced the thermostat because it was going out as well. Still no heat. It's almost as if the AC is on. It's blowing that cold! So I've been reading the older threads and two things are mentioned that I didn't know about.

1. Bleeding the system to get rid of any air.

2. Blend door actuator.

I've never bled it before and not 100% sure I know how, although the hoses are hot. After reading this, I went out and checked it and they were definitely hot. As for the actuator, is that the white box that was removed before taking off the access door for the core? If so, I have to take dash out AGAIN? :(

Could there be something else causing this? Is there ways to check before I start throwing parts at her? Any input would be fantastic! I really thought the heat would be working after the core.

One additional problem that's not heat but, changing heater core, it arose. I've never removed the dash so I had a buddy help me and I followed the directions from a post on here that explained that I had to remove the steering wheel. My friend actually removed it and put it back in but ever since, there is a little slack in the steering that wasn't there before and, when driving straight, it almost feels as if someone is tugging the wheel slightly. What did he mess up and how do I check and fix it? It's always had really tight steering. Now, not so much. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
To bleed the air out, elevate the front end of the car and run the car with the cap off, heater on high. Ordinarily, you don't need to bleed the system, though I have driven with the cap loose for a day to bleed it. But since the heater core was dry, you definitely should bleed it.

Good luck.

Al

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Sorry for the new thread but my post in an old one wasn't getting noticed..... :(
Hello everyone! It's been awhile since I've posted, cause my computer crapped out, but still been trying to keep up with everything.

So I came across an old thread and I'm having issues with my 97 Cougar heat as well. There is none! ;) This passed Sunday, I replaced the heater core because the heat went out last winter and it was leaking all over the floor. From my research, it was a pretty obvious diagnosis. Today I replaced the thermostat because it was going out as well. Still no heat. It's almost as if the AC is on. It's blowing that cold! So I've been reading the older threads and two things are mentioned that I didn't know about.

1. Bleeding the system to get rid of any air.

2. Blend door actuator.

I've never bled it before and not 100% sure I know how, although the hoses are hot. After reading this, I went out and checked it and they were definitely hot. As for the actuator, is that the white box that was removed before taking off the access door for the core? If so, I have to take dash out AGAIN? :(

No. There is some info here on how to change the Actuator. Very tight fit, cursing and a few scratches on your hands will get it done. :D

Could there be something else causing this? Is there ways to check before I start throwing parts at her? Any input would be fantastic! I really thought the heat would be working after the core.

Make sure all your vacuum lines are connected to the control unit.

One additional problem that's not heat but, changing heater core, it arose. I've never removed the dash so I had a buddy help me and I followed the directions from a post on here that explained that I had to remove the steering wheel. My friend actually removed it and put it back in but ever since, there is a little slack in the steering that wasn't there before and, when driving straight, it almost feels as if someone is tugging the wheel slightly. What did he mess up and how do I check and fix it? It's always had really tight steering. Now, not so much. Thanks everyone!
Could be that the steering wheel isn't secured correctly, could be that your buddy didn't tightened the bold on the steering shaft (below the dash, above the pedals).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. So further inspection, on the steering column, close to the pedals, there is a piece that joins the column together and acts as a swivel? Does that make sense? Anyway, it looks as if it's missing a bolt that tightens it. What is it called and where can I find a replacement?

The cooling system burped itself because one of the clamps on the hose for the heater core wasn't tight. So I tightened it and was still losing antifreeze from that hose. Now there's 2 clamps on that end and it still comes out. Just switched the clamps, because one is adjustable, so I'll check it tomorrow after my wife comes home.

Looking behind the glove box, I found a white vacuum line with a screw in the end of it. It goes to a little white box with a red line, green line another white line etc... but I have no clue where it's suppose to go! Any ideas on how I locate?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still losing antifreeze........ Someone mentioned that maybe they were too tight, so I took the adjustable clamp off yesterday and of course raining today so I will check it tomorrow.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Old clamp didn't work so I will be replacing it tomorrow.

It's the missing bolt a common size that I can pick one up anywhere?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I misplaced the clamp but it seems to have slowed down. Maybe the hose needed to heat up and form to it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts