TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to attempt a heater core replacement tomorrow on my 1997 Thunderbird LX sport, using all the EXCELLENT tips/tricks/advice I've found on these forums, but the one question I haven't found yet answered in any detail here is - just what is the best way to get the pre-bent hoses (the ones in the engine compartment, obviously) loose from the core in order to remove it through the access cover in the evaporator case?

There doesn't seem to be much room between the rear of the 4.6 liter V-8 and the firewall!

Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
cut them off with a box cutter and replace them, than yank on them to get them off, the old core is done anyway.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O.K., I am finished for the day - I have the new heater core in and I will put the dash back in tomorrow. I want to thank everyone on here for all the instructions/advice I've read on these forums - especially the VERY detailed, step-by-step instructions from, I think his name is, TimB! I have 2 observations right off the bat that I'd like to point out for anyone doing this replacement on a 1997 T-Bird:

1. You do NOT need to unbolt and disconnect the connector going to the ECM in the passenger-side footwell; it is not in any way connected to the wire harnesses attached to the intrument panel.

2. If your car has the original, factory-installed heater core (as mine did, I believe), it will probably be easiest to use a frameless hacksaw, as I did, and cut the tubes coming off of the heater core just ahead of the firewall! The reason for this is if your car still has the factory-style clamps that need to be squeezed together with pliers to release the tension and remove them, you will find it IMPOSSIBLE to get a pair of pliers on them to squeeze them together (besides, cutting those tubes might also be necessary in order to pull the core through the gasket and out of it's mounting space in the evaporator case)!

Well, I hope I get the instrument panel back in the car without any problems tomorrow! :)

Dennis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts