TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting coolant smell in the car with heat on and a oily film on the windshield, I assume its the Heater Core right?

Has anyone replaced it without removing the dash?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
If my heater core goes bad, I will probably bypass it, and live without heat.

Replacing it looks like a gruesome job.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
If my heater core goes bad, I will probably bypass it, and live without heat.

Replacing it looks like a gruesome job.
It's not too bad, just time consuming.

I also swapped the dash, and since I have a 1991 XR7, I had to swap the wiring harnesses also.

By myself, it took about a day of work all told.

RwP

·
Registered
412 Posts
The hardest part is finding a second pair of hands when it's time to move the dash.
When my heater core was replaced, the dash was cleverly lifted by putting a board underneath it with bottle jacks on both sides. Then it was carefully raised enough to gain access to the core.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
You guys use helpers?

I pulled my 1991 Cougar's dash by myself. And put the new one in by myself.

RwP

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just got mine back together a week ago, was down almost 3 weeks.Bought a core at Napa what a POS,took it back and had a radiator shop took a week to build me a good one.Now the original radiator developed a leak and power steering just started leaking.250k miles I guess its time.Had the wife help me pull the dash and steering column .

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just got mine back together a week ago, was down almost 3 weeks.Bought a core at Napa what a POS,took it back and had a radiator shop took a week to build me a good one.Now the original radiator developed a leak and power steering just started leaking.250k miles I guess its time.Had the wife help me pull the dash and steering column .
To prevent electrolysis in your cooling system, run a ground wire from one of the heater core nipples to an appropriate location.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Getting ready to finally do this, where's the best place to get Aluminum wire? Odd for me to go looking for Aluminum over Copper but in this cause I see the need. Also anyone see a problem soldering the wire to the core as opposed to using a hose clamp, I have Ag ,Pb and Pb free ?

·
Super Moderator
10,769 Posts
Getting ready to finally do this, where's the best place to get Aluminum wire? Odd for me to go looking for Aluminum over Copper but in this cause I see the need. Also anyone see a problem soldering the wire to the core as opposed to using a hose clamp, I have Ag ,Pb and Pb free ?
Solder, brazed, or welded; it should all be the same for corrosion resistance, as a ~zero resistance connection.

(Unless someone sux at making them, lol.)

I'd solder it; and if it's soldered, copper or aluminum won't matter. I'd wash off the flux, after, tho.

I'd use lead solder, it's more durable near a battery; silver is great, it makes it stick really well, but high silver causes issues in weather.

As long as everything is connected together, it won't corrode.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was no fun at all

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still have to finish up, all the aftermarket wiring caused a delay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts