TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked for info on replacing the heater core (97 Cougar). Found only a dead link.

Tech articles has one short article on electrolysis in the heater core, but not how to remove/replace it.

Is there a working link for details on removing and replacing a heater core?

Thanks

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I honestlt don't know what happened to the pdf version of my article after they closed the MTC board. I'll check and see if I have a copy of it on my laptop. I'm pretty sure there isn't enouigh room on my TCCOA site to hold it. Let me check

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Update. I do have enough space on my TCCOA site but no longer have the pdf format. I am working on making a web page of it.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Good write up Tim, but there are a couple of things you did that do NOT have to be done. :)

First off, leave the steering wheel connected to the dash. You only have to unhook the universal joint. It makes the dash heavier, but it saves at least an hour of time. You don't have to disconnect anything going to the steering column.

Second, you do not have to remove the dash. You only have to slide it far enough back and to the drivers side to get to the heater plenum box through the glove box hole. The dash winds up having to move out the door about 6 inches.

Also, by not having to remove the dash, there are several connectors that you can leave in place.

I have some pics of what I'm talking about *somewhere* on my computer. :D I can upload them if you can't picture it.

The first time I changed my core, it took a week's worth of evenings because there NO instructions anywhere except the Ford manuals....which have you discharge the A/C and remove the entire heater/evaporator assembly. The second time (due to a faulty core) I did it in six hours. :D

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Sir William,

Yep you can cut some of those corners I just wanted good clear access when I did it...that and I wanted to write an article anyone could follow step by step without a chance of screwing anything up. Anyways I did that and submitted it 3 years ago so I wanted to make sure there was a location we could reference now that MTC is down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts