TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm replacing the heater core but don't really want to. is there a way around this w/o a pro shop? also is heater core failure common?

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
so i'm replacing the heater core but don't really want to. is there a way around this w/o a pro shop? also is heater core failure common?
LOL, I'm moving up to Seattle end of June, I would help you do it no problem if I was there. As for "pro shop"... are you asking if you can do it yourself? YES!!! A few basic hand tools, a few hours of patience, easy money. There are plenty of threads with pictures here to guide you. AFAIK, this seems to be a fairly common problem. Also, when I last did mine, it was recommended to add the "ground strap" to assist/avoid electrolysis.

Edit: http://members.tccoa.com/timb/Heatercore.htm - Only difference for me and many others, not necessary to remove the entire dash. You need to pull it back enough for room to get under there. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah that'd be rad to have some help, and we are the "evergreen state" lol. my only concern is that its causing issues w the cooling system be cause it was disconnected from the fire wall to prevent coolant leaks in the cabin.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I always pictured it like this ...

"It's late in the year 1988 and you are standing at the Lorain plant at the exact spot were the first part of the new MN-12 Platform comes down the assembly line and you look up and there it is .....the heater core... then the rest of the entire car comes together around it."

Hope this doesn't discourage you it's sucks but its not too bad.

·
Super Moderator
16,760 Posts
I always pictured it like this ...

"It's late in the year 1988 and you are standing at the Lorain plant at the exact spot were the first part of the new MN-12 Platform comes down the assembly line and you look up and there it is .....the heater core... then the rest of the entire car comes together around it."

Hope this doesn't discourage you it's sucks but its not too bad.
It's even worse in a Fox. At least with an MN12 all you need to remove is the dash, Foxes require discharging and disconnecting the A/C and pulling the heater box outward since the core needs to come out from the top.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It's even worse in a Fox. At least with an MN12 all you need to remove is the dash, Foxes require discharging and disconnecting the A/C and pulling the heater box outward since the core needs to come out from the top.
I got lucky once with a Fox it was built w/o a/c , , just remove glove box, remove four screws, unhook hoses and pull out core. took about 30 mins to R&R the core.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts