TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started getting the smell and in a couple days I had drippage.

It was not too bad, only issues other than what is documented.

1) my upper dash area was bonded to the cowl. Had to really yank on it to finally get it free. I usually break something and I thought that would be when, no problems though.

2) Removing the core after getting in there. If you cut the gasket at the firewall horizontally across the axis of the tubes, you can remove it without having to cut the pipes, then you can insert the new one pretty easy. If you make only one cut it should not compromise the seal that much.

3) Friggin small plastic parts break without too much force. The radio trim has a couple spring clips that are pushed onto it from the rear, actually these are used all over the trim. They seem to break right where they have been pushed to.
Pulling straight out of position helps prevent snapping them off.

4) the NAPA replacement was not aluminum like the factory one. Copper and not as nice.

rm
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,239 Posts
Richard,

I hope you attached some ground wire to that core,and grounded that bad boy so that you don't have to do the job again.

Also, check your coolant for electrolysis. Scott V has an article in tech articles, i'm sure you have already checked that out though.

JH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
I have a good heater core, and A/C evaporator if anyone needs them. Free, for the taking. Only catch, you have to take them out :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
i feel your pain richard
i just replaced the heater core in a 2000 mercury mountaneer minivan. it was horrible
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I did attach a grounding strap.

Ross, the high yesterday was 32° or some crap, snowing. Garage was around 45°.
Had to take warm-up breaks so my toes would defrost.

rm
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top