TCCoA Forums banner

heater core

817 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  tbirdguy 
#1 ·
I have the dash almost out but 1 thing is in my way. I dont know how to discounted the auto attania for my radio. Im thinking of cuting them but I am hoping there is a way to discounted them besides jaking up the car and removeing the panle under the wheel. Any one have a better idea?

Sorry about the spelling Im outside and it is hot.

#2 ·
Are you asking how to disconnect the radio antenna cable to remove the dash? I just changed me heater core last month and ran into the same problem! For some unknown reason, Ford decided that when they were going to assemble the Thunderbirds/Cougars, they were going to wrap the radio antenna wire inside the wire harness that runs behind the dash where the glove box was. So, what you have to do is cut ALL the electrical tape from the wire harness that the antenna is run through (you can trace the antenna cable from the passenger-side footwell up behind the dash to see where it goes) and then seperate the antenna cable from that harness (that harness is attached to and comes out with the dash). You can the re-tape that wire harness all up while the dash is still out of the car. When you put the dash back in, just use some wire ties to attach the antenna cable back along that same wire harness. That way, if you ever have to remove the dash again, just cut the wire ties to release the antenna cable!

Hope this helps!

Dennis

#4 ·
Yes, my new heater core came with a strip of foam that had adhesive on one side. I applied it to the new core just like on the old one. I bought my new heater core at AutoZone; I bought it there because the picture of the one they sold on their website looked like it was copper instead of aluminum (which I thought might be better at resisiting corrosion than an aluminum one), but when I went to the store the one I got was completely different than what they had pictured on their website! Oh, well - it seems to be fine so far! It also states: "Patented Long Life Tube Alloy and Erosion Plate to reduce premature failure" - we'll see!

Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.