TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was getting all ready to rebuild the front suspension, nice stuff from Jay and the rest Motorcraft pieces,until the wife comes home yesterday from work and says the windows are all wet and steamy. That sucks,now its heater core time.I changed it 5 years ago with a core from Napa.Any input on the best heater cores would be appreciated.:frown2:

·
Registered
111 Posts
The most frustrating job ive had to do on my car. Wish I had some tips to make it easier but it really is just a pain in the a** no matter what.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Was getting all ready to rebuild the front suspension, nice stuff from Jay and the rest Motorcraft pieces,until the wife comes home yesterday from work and says the windows are all wet and steamy. That sucks,now its heater core time.I changed it 5 years ago with a core from Napa.Any input on the best heater cores would be appreciated.:frown2:
The new heater core I put in may car failed after only 22,000 miles. Bound and determined to not replace it, I resorted to using a stop leak product made mostly of ground nut shells and spices. Ninety nine percent of the leak stopped, but one percent is still too much. Calling on old techniques I used in the past, I poured a small amount of ground black pepper into the tank. Hallelujah! It has been 5 years since, 20 thousand miles more, and not one leak.

It is electrolysis causing failures in aluminum heater cores. Thanks to a tip a member posted here, the remedy is to run a ground wire from your inlet hose on the heater to somewhere on the frame.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, It was a PITA 5 years ago when I did it. I'm going to try this time leaving the steering column in.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My napa one leaked 6 months later. Got a free replacement but that is not comforting. First time took 6 hrs, 2nd time 2/12 hrs. Don't have to remove the steering column, just unbolt it add let it drop down.

·
Super Moderator
10,769 Posts
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbfrg t is electrolysis causing failures in aluminum heater cores. Thanks to a tip a member posted here, the remedy is to run a ground wire from your inlet hose on the heater to somewhere on the frame.
You need to make sure it's all grounded.

The heads, heater core, engine, oil filter adapter, radiator ALL need to be connected to a good ground.

Any ungrounded element means corrosion; the higher the resistance of the ground connection, the faster the corrosion.

Aluminum usually wears the most, especially if you use any stainless steel anywhere. :grin2:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I've been planning to buy an anode for mine and this thread reminded me. After searching around, I found THIS site with a similar part for much cheaper (Fluidyne vs. Flex-A-Lite). Just a heads up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been planning to buy an anode for mine and this thread reminded me. After searching around, I found THIS site with a similar part for much cheaper (Fluidyne vs. Flex-A-Lite). Just a heads up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts