TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, anyone ever change a heater core in one of our cars? A 95lx to be precise? Is it a PITA, or could any monkey with tools do it? Here's the scenario, tell me what you think- Car overheats, changed the T-Stat. Over heats again, changed the Water Pump. Over heats again, flushed the system and checked fan operation. Heater core is all thats left to try right? Anyone got any better ideas?

John

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
It is a pain in the butt to replace but I wrote an article on it with pictures. That said I don't believe your overheat issue is being caused by the core since you can completely bypass i without an issue. If your core is bad you will smell antifreeze in vents or your passenger floorboard will be wet or you will get steam out the defrost vents. Have you verified that your fan is coming on both high and low speed?

By the way if you want to look at the article it is here

http://www.mtcforum.com/articles/heater_core_install.pdf

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
You said you flushed your radiator, does that mean you flushed it with your garden hose type of thing or had it professionally cleaned? If the former, you need to pull the radiator and have it hot tanked and rodded. I did it to mine at about 75k and it made a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sir William said:
You said you flushed your radiator, does that mean you flushed it with your garden hose type of thing or had it professionally cleaned? If the former, you need to pull the radiator and have it hot tanked and rodded. I did it to mine at about 75k and it made a HUGE difference.
Hey thanks for the info guys!! Couple questions.. What the heck is "Hot Tanking" and what type of place would I take it to, to have that done? Do you think that the radiator is actually the problem?

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I'd put money that's the problem. If you've done all the other stuff..... Any radiator shop can do it for you. I paid $75 for mine in Atlanta. Word of advice, pull your radiator yourself. It's not hard and will save you at least another $50-100 in labor.

BTW, this is a really good time to add in that tranny cooler if you haven't already. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Overheating?

Did you check the obvious like coolant level, operation of the electric cooling fan, possibility of air lock in the engine coolant system?

The flushing of the system would be a good start, and the hot tanking of the aluminum radiator as well.

My two cents

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I'm with Sir Bill on this one. We used to hot tank and rod out radiators at my family's shop and you would be absolutely amazed how plugged up the cores in the radiator can get (mainly the bottom ones). Getting it hot tanked and rodded would be cheaper than buying a new one in most cases.
-Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts