TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Tstat went out on my 93 5.0 Cougar a couple of months ago. So I replaced it and everything was all hunky doory until a couple weeks ago. The car started to over heat again so I relpced the heater hose and put in another new (better) tstat and the car ran fine for a few days. Now when driving around town the heat gauge will go to the H and trip the idiot light. It will stay in the Hot range until I pick up speed and rpms (about 50mph @1200-1500rpms) then it will 'rapidly' go back to normal. I understand that the air moving around the engine will cool it down but the heat gauge drops too quickly for that to happen. Also my AC seems to only work at higher speeds or rpms and at idle if I turn on the AC the rpms drop to about 300-400rpms and then will kick back up after a few seconds. And last but not least when the car is a idle it will die sometimes. Almost like it stalls out. So then I have to put the car in park and I have to pump the gas pedel to get it to fire back up again.
My main concern is if all these problems are related and are being caused by one thing or are they seperate problems in themselves?

Next payday I plan on taking it to a garage to have a computer scan ran on it but thats not for a couple more weeks which is why I'm posting here in hopes someone might reconize the problem.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'll be honest, not many people have posted a reply on this thread because it could be a host of different problems. If your car cools off when your cruising...then it is only getting hot when your sitting, right? I'm being obvious, but stick with me. That means that maybe there is not enough air moving through your radiator, right? Have you checked your fan? Does it still have the mechanical fan on it? Check the fan/fan shroud first.

I honestly don't know where to start on some of that stuff over the internet. If the car was in front of me, it would be a different story. That's the problem with the internet, i can't dig around under your hood to help.

Sorry!
-danimal

P.S. Maybe your problems are from that big burn-out

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
What do you have under the hood? U/D pulleys, etc?

One thing that happened to me about overheating was that when I installed U/D pulleys I used a belt that was far to small so I had to route it over the tensioner left of the P/S pulley, and therefore the belt cut into my "heat expanded radiator hose". I had no coolant in the car for like two weeks. Your problem could possibly turn out to be something very similar and/or easy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Solve one problem at a time. The symptom you describe as your overheating sounds like the T-stat... which is a pisser since you just did it. My advice before you track the other problems any further is to replce the T-stat AGAIN. It is easy AND cheap.

When the temp drops that fast, (couple seconds) when you rev, it isn't the air cooling anything, it is the cool coolant in the radiator making it's way into the block and past the sensor in the lower intake... sticky T-stat's that don't like to open sometimes pop open if you rev the engine and get the coolant moving faster... this is exactly what my bronco used to do when it had a sticky T-stat.

Try this, then come back and let us know...

-Jim

·
Registered
154 Posts
Re-readng the post, I have to ask... do you still have your stock clutch fan? Also what temp is your thermostat?

As for the problem when idling with the A/C, if your IAC is really fouled or not working properly, it may not be able to let enough air in to maintain idle with the load of the A/C. Try pulling it and seeing how dirty it is... this is easy as well. Clean it and re-install it and see what happens to the problem.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Also I wouldn't go pay for any diagnostic work just yet... none of your problems sound all that nasty, and you haven't exhausted some simple easy things you can do yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts