TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.. First of all, all people living in desert areas and other hot places
please remember that we have -22F here in the winters..
Some I'm entitled to whine, OKAY? :D

For the last 2 weeks we've had a heatwave over Europe that's
incredible..

Up here in Sweden we've had temps at around 90F in the shade for
the last two weeks with no winds at all and it's killing me..
When I'm not driving 80 mph with the windows down I'm laying in the sofa
with two huge fans blowing straight at me..
Right now it's 86F and it's 7 pm... And I've got all the windows and
doors open.. Not that it helps but... It just feels better... :D

MAN! It's so hot you can't eat, smoke or drink coffe..
And that's pretty much what I do.. :(
I have to drink a gallon or two of water a day to keep the [email protected] headaches
away..

And AC's for the homes isn't something that is affordable over here..
Since we never ever have to use 'em... :(

Usually we have 77F at the most and 68F in the water...
Now it's 82.5 in the water... That's not cooling.. That's disgustingly hot!

The only good thing is I've lost like 20 pounds these two weeks from not
eating.. How much would that effect my 1/4 mile time?? :D

Okay... Time to stop the whining and get back into the shower..
For the third time since I woke up.. *sigh*

//Per

·
Registered
343 Posts
Is it a dry hot or a sticky hot, cause sticky is 10 times worse.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Thyg0d said:
Okay.. First of all, all people living in desert areas and other hot places
please remember that we have -22F here in the winters..
Some I'm entitled to whine, OKAY? :D

For the last 2 weeks we've had a heatwave over Europe that's
incredible..

Up here in Sweden we've had temps at around 90F in the shade for
the last two weeks with no winds at all and it's killing me..
When I'm not driving 80 mph with the windows down I'm laying in the sofa
with two huge fans blowing straight at me..
Right now it's 86F and it's 7 pm... And I've got all the windows and
doors open.. Not that it helps but... It just feels better... :D

I have to drink a gallon or two of water a day to keep the [email protected] headaches
away..

And AC's for the homes isn't something that is affordable over here..
Since we never ever have to use 'em... :(

Usually we have 77F at the most and 68F in the water...
Now it's 82.5 in the water... That's not cooling.. That's disgustingly hot!

The only good thing is I've lost like 20 pounds these two weeks from not
eating.. How much would that effect my 1/4 mile time?? :D

Okay... Time to stop the whining and get back into the shower..
For the third time since I woke up.. *sigh*

//Per
Would you like some cheese with that whine??!?!? j/k :rofl: :rofl:

Try this: Work in a computer room for 10 hours, where the temp is 68 deg with 10% humidity and walk out into 95 deg and 85% humidity, and then get in a car that is 120 deg.... I DO THAT ON A DAILY BASIS during the summer!!! :beek:

But then I often go and play tennis in that heat, so I guess I just get used to it…. NOT!!!! :beek:

This is one reason I have such respect for road crews/roofers…. “Hey, it’s boiling hot out here… lets lay some hot tar!!!” :beek:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Here, in NE Ohio, we're entering our third hot/humid period this summer. Normally, we would just start to get this kind of weather now. I even broke down and bought a window air conditioner.

When I visited Sweden/Denmark all those years ago in '98, it was nice when we arrived--in the low 70's F. (I think it was the 21st of May) But it was cold before we left a couple days later--in the low 40's. This was only a problem because we had already mailed our coats back home. Brrrr.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I know how you feel. I went from -30 to -40F in the winter (northwestern Colorado mountains) to 120F in the summer (Yuma Az). I took it okay, my car (81 Ford Fairmont), on the other hand, almost died. 2 seconds after getting to Yuma, the dash turned a dark brown, all the window channel rubber and felts cracked and fell into the door.

But I settled in Tucson Az, where it is a cool 111 F today, I couldn't take the cold ever again.

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Would you like some cheese with that whine??!?!? j/k :rofl: :rofl:

Try this: Work in a computer room for 10 hours, where the temp is 68 deg with 10% humidity and walk out into 95 deg and 85% humidity, and then get in a car that is 120 deg.... I DO THAT ON A DAILY BASIS during the summer!!! :beek:
Try this: Work in a refrigerated warehouse for 8 hours, where the temp is maybe 25 degrees, then go outside where its 85 degrees and 85% humidity. then come complain. im thinking NW Colorado is looking pretty good right now.

·
The Parts Guy
7,421 Posts
To the guys complaining about walking out into the heat from your air conditioned jobs.....at least you get to work in air conditioning all day! :redmad: Not that I'm complaining. Working in the heat is a great way to work off the winter gut.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I was working in an AC'd building for a while. It was so hot...HOW HOT IS IT!!?...that I would STILL wind up with sweat stains on my shirt at the end of the day. Two issues there: 1) I sweat very easily and PROFUSELY; 2) I would run up from the basement to the 7th floor two or three times a day for exercise, skipping two steps until I was tired, then skipping one step the rest of the way. The AC was just enough to keep most normal people from sweating if they don't exert themselves. However, if you are like me, then the A/C is not enough and humidity is too high to prevent the sudden increase of sweat after arriving to the floor.

Lately, I've been working partly indoors, and partly outdoors but under a cover. My shirts are guaranteed to have sweat stains even if I only exert myself very little. The sweat stains now vs the sweat stains before are visible enough to make it embarrassing to wear my uniform anywhere but to my car and straight home.

This summer, it regularly hits 100 degrees with 104+ degrees heat index. My 'Bird's thermometer certainly displays 100+ almost every day. Tomorrow, I begin 100% work outdoors, in the heat, no shade, no clouds usually. I HOPE I can keep a positive attitude about it. In fact, I am determined to. I don't want to be just another complainer. I've always chosen to exercise in the hottest parts of the day so hopefully it will be no problem at all. After a week or so out there in the heat, then maybe I'll come back here and razz you for whining about EIGHTY DEGREES. :tongue: Until then, keep cool!

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'm working on a school renovation/addition. A couple weeks ago I got to go out to the site. It was almost 90 in the shade, and it wasn't 10am yet. We were walking around the site, and went in the building to observe some demolition. It was already about 10 degrees hotter inside than outside, but then we went to see the boiler being dismantled. There was a crew of guys in the boiler room cutting up the old boilers with plasma cutters!!! It had to be about 120 in that room! :eek:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My dad and mom went down to Atlanta a couple weeks ago for a ball game and some guy was complaning about the humidity...it was about 85 and 50%...HA...yeah, Iowa, regularly 90-95 with 85-95%RH...talk about warm...and to think, for the next to weeks, I get to seal cracks in the city streets using a machine with a 6' hose attached to it that runs at 425 F for 10 hours a day...

Joe

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
id rather be outside where its 85 than going back and forth between 25 and 85.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The heat i can stand, its the humidity that is going to kill me one day.
I am big guy, i love to sweat working out or running or something.
But when i can't make it from my car to my work without sweating.
There is a problem.
I got out of my car this morning, and i could feel how thick the air was, it was hard to breathe. It is humid here all summer, but today is just nasty.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Thyg0d said:
:uppoint:That's classic.

BTW - isn't the heat a good thing? I mean I have to imagine that all those sexy swedish women are wearing the least amount of clothing possible to keep cool.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jack K said:
:uppoint:That's classic.

BTW - isn't the heat a good thing? I mean I have to imagine that all those sexy swedish women are wearing the least amount of clothing possible to keep cool.

Yeah that part is great, but they do that as soon as the temp hits
70.. So there's not much difference.. The only question I hvae is
WHERE THE H€LL DO THE HIDE IN THE WINTER??

Yeah it's really sticky here.. The whole city is surrounded by water so
the humidity is a killer...

I'd rather work in the cold and go out into the heat
rather than working in the heat... And traveling by train to get to work
isn't that much fun either and since all the trains are out all day in the sun
the temp inside the carrigies goes up to 110...

I know some of you have this kind of temps all the time but remember that
I've never experienced this... And your body doesn't adjust to the heat
until after two weeks... And it came over a night...

But I got to give it those working on the roads and/or close to hot machinery...
Don't understand how you survive..

//Per

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
redneckcougarguy said:
id rather be outside where its 85 than going back and forth between 25 and 85.
I would prefer to be in a cold enviorment and walk into a warm one than being constantly in a hot enviorment.

Even though I work at night the trailers are hot as hell, plus get hotter because of the light used to light them up. Last night I was sweating so much I could hardly see. It's a shock walking outside to go home because outside it's pretty fresh.

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
SVT2888 said:
I would prefer to be in a cold enviorment and walk into a warm one than being constantly in a hot enviorment.

Even though I work at night the trailers are hot as hell, plus get hotter because of the light used to light them up.
just be gald your not in a trailer with me ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts