TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a heavy duty spring compressor, one that is up to the task of compressing a large high pressure spring, like that of the front of the 1997 Tbird Lx Sport, or even slightly stronger (Eibach or Vogtland)

I've tried this before with a friends compressor, and we just started to bend the **** out of his tool, it was dangerous.

Ended up having to take the assembly to Ford, since they have a wall mount unit, as Often as I change things I don't want to have to pay Ford everytime I need to do this.

I know there are units that work, looking for any hands on expreriences, or recommendations.

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
I beleive Aaron K. used a compressor from Autozone when he swapped in his H&R springs. Im going to find out tonite jst how strong they are, we are going to pt in my front Konis.

good luck

joseph

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me know how it works out for you,

Is that the kind you can either buy, or rent from the parts store?

Let me know what they charge for the unit, and if you don't mind, the Manufacturer and Part number / Model number. Especially if it works well :D

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I used a spring compressor like that the first time I did my Cougar springs, now it's all wall-mounted, it was just too much of a PITA with the other ones.

·
Registered
44 Posts
SanDiegoLXBird said:
Just take the thing down to some little shop that has a wallmounted spring compressor. You /do not/ want that spring coming loose. It can seriously injur you and at the very worst kill you. Pay somebody the 10-15 bucks to do it safely.
little shops don't have wallmount compressors

everywhere I go wants 70 bux to do em

·
Registered
364 Posts
Goto a school auto shop or something... Probably do it for free... They cant screw a shock up to much :)

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
70 bucks ?

Dan Newman quoted me $35 to do two.

Even a local Ford dealer told me $20 each.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it's expensive, unless your buddies with somebody.

Personally I don't like to have to clean up and drive a seperate car and go get something. Especially if it's 2am and I want **** done :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts