TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of installing the fancy upper shock mounts and noticed that the boot on the heavy duty UCAs is split. The UCAs are a good bit larger than the OEM UCA style. Does anyone know of an alternative boot I can install and use for these?

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
I'm in the process of installing the fancy upper shock mounts and noticed that the boot on the heavy duty UCAs is split. The UCAs are a good bit larger than the OEM UCA style. Does anyone know of an alternative boot I can install and use for these?
RobertP was selling some urethane ones that might work; I believe they will fit the ACDelco large ones I have, but I really don't know.

Rob's Tire & Auto - Products

All the way at the bottom.

He doesn't get by here too often anymore, probably working on his cars. :)

And many others, lol.

·
Super Moderator
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RobertP was selling some urethane ones that might work; I believe they will fit the ACDelco large ones I have, but I really don't know.

Rob's Tire & Auto - Products

All the way at the bottom.

He doesn't get by here too often anymore, probably working on his cars. :)

And many others, lol.
I've been to his site and it looks like he only takes phone calls. I'm not sure I follow the idea of having a web site that doesn't even have an e-mail contact method.

Therefore I'm looking at other options.

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Super Moderator
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd bet one of these would work:

energysuspension.com | Tie Rod & Ball Joint Boots

I used all their stuff for my mark 8 lca builds. :)

Find the part number, then hit amazon, lol.
I've been looking through both Energy Suspension and Prothane's web site and I haven't found anything that would work yet. The boots on they heavy duty UCA ball joints are ~2" in diameter and ~1.25" tall. I didn't measure the shaft diameter but since I haven't found anything that measures up to those first two measurements I haven't worried about the last one.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Damn, you man I could have popped my ball joint off, changed the boot and not have to have spent 3 hours changing out my UCA's?!?!?!?

Learn something new every day!

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
Damn, you man I could have popped my ball joint off, changed the boot and not have to have spent 3 hours changing out my UCA's?!?!?!?

Learn something new every day!
Probably not.

Unless it gets snagged on something it's usually shot about the same time, unless you catch it early.

MM's were bad at install...

·
Super Moderator
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably not.

Unless it gets snagged on something it's usually shot about the same time, unless you catch it early.

MM's were bad at install...
Mine weren't bad at install but when I took the front shocks off the car to replace the top mount with my new design I noticed that the boot was split. I think I may have a solution so I've ordered it and I'll post back if it works out.

·
Super Moderator
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm guessing you answered your own question. :)
-g
Pretty much. I had some of this conversation in IRC with some of the guys so we found a path. I'm apprehensive about RobertP's boots because I believe they are intended for the stock UCAs and the ones I have are the heave duty and the ball joint housing looks like it's probably 10-20% larger in diameter.

I also hate making phone calls. I'm an IT guy by trade and I spend too much time on a phone already.

·
Registered
484 Posts
My boots were bad at install but I didn't want to pay RobertP's price for some plastic. Curiuos what you find and if it would go on mine.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
So the ac delco upper arms have a larger diameter ball joint? There is a heavy duty version? Just curious. Can't find any more threads about this.

·
Super Moderator
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 34 Posts