TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first I want to start off by giving some initial images of what exactly I am trying to accomplish. See the images here and you will understand the madness that is about to ensue…

So that’s the idea… I want to graph in the ‘COBRA’ lettering from the SN95 rear cover into the LX MN12 rear bumper cover. Obviously this is not going to happen by taking the whole cobra section I have and mating it into the T-bird cover, but I grabbed this section to have plenty of material to work with.

Now, I have some ideas about pulling this off, as well as a body man who is VERY good with custom urethane work, BUT I am not sure this can be done, NOR am I certain that the 94/95 LX cover is the proper one to be suing for this project. Maybe I should be using an SC cover, or a PRE-94 LX or SC cover, but without having all of these covers at my disposal I don’t know which might be the best starting point.

From the pics above I am hoping you guys (and of course gals) might be able to make suggestions on what year MN12 rear cover I should start with and/or model option I should track down. I am also very ready to hear anyone’s suggestions on pulling this off as well.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i think false advertising, but , i think an early sc bumper would give you the flat area you desires to graft it in. also sem makes a ton of products for repair palstic bumpers

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, you are right to some extent as far as the false advertising goes. I am doing all the body work before attaacking the drive train. However, I have already purchased the T-56 and a 94 SC manual car for the console, pedals, related manual items etc., and the aluminum IRS rear with gears, cobra wheels, dual exhaust, lug conversion items, and am gearing up for the beefed up Gt-40 motor (supercharged - kenny bell).

Once the car is complete I am of high hopes it will live up to its branding. It is just goign to take a while. I really just chose the body work first because I have a few connections in that area that have taken an interest in what I am doing with the car and are looking forward to helping.

You are right, though, the drive train now only has some minor hop ups and is no example for the cobra name... but all in time I suppose. I'd love to just do it all at once, but I can not commit to that yet. I have to get the body work done and ready for new paint before I am going to completely convert the drivetrain over.

I still am doing the headlight conversion, 96+ cowl hood (just got done today), the rood mouldings are being deleted and some other mods also. Once that's out of the way it is getting the rear finished, caged, reupolstered, and getting the 6 spd manual installed.

I just don't have any other car to work on at the present time, so I have no choice than to channel all my attentions to this one.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
np, just razzing ya , i understand the path, do what you can with what resources availble, story of my life

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jk89cat said:
np, just razzing ya , i understand the path, do what you can with what resources availble, story of my life
Whew... I hear ya! lol, There are 2 sayings that have always stood out in my mind:

I'm just a squirrel tryin' to get a nut

and

I'm doin' the best I can with what I got!

I was not at all offended by what you said. Sorry if it sounded that way. You are right though... until I get the drive train done the body work is going to be a bit of a lie. It is the definition of all show no go! I think in the end it will work out... it's the waiting part I wish I could side step. But then again... dont we all!?!?

Thanks for the reply! Have a good one!

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
this has already been done, so i know it can be done.

theres a tbird on cardomain that has the cobra letters in the back bumper. you going to put in a cobra motor or something?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
musto said:
this has already been done, so i know it can be done.

theres a tbird on cardomain that has the cobra letters in the back bumper. you going to put in a cobra motor or something?

I'd love to see it... i don't suppose you have a link for this one do you?

·
Super Moderator
7,515 Posts
Ok, first of all, don't use that whole section that you have. Cut out a rectangle that had the "cobra" lettering and only go about a half inch on top and bottom of the lettering. The smaller the whole you cut in the original bumper, the stronger it will be. Next cut out a hole in the bumper that is almost the exact same size as the cobra lettering, just about an eigth of an inch larger on top and bottom. Next get a good flexible epoxy and use the section of the original bumper that you cut out and epoxy it to the back of the bumper on the top and bottom to make a flange that you can then epoxy the cobra lettering to. Once it is epoxied in place and everything is hardened, you will have a line around the edge of the cobra lettering. Use a flexible bumper repair type of filler to fill that in, then sand everything smooth.

Mike

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bobbylx said:

hey, THANK YOU, I appreciate the link. Wow... his car is, um... interesting. He sure has added a lot of, um... parts.

It looks to me that the "Cobra" lettering he added is painted on. It doesn't quite look like he graphed it in. I didn;t read every bit of his profile, but from what I saw, he makes no mention of actually graphing it in. Not to be a [email protected] buster nor is this any kind of slander, but this guy looks like everything he is doing consists of aftermarket bolt ons, and not anything that is actual custom.

Ether way, I saved a pic as a reference.

Thanks again!

·
Jack of all trades, Master of none
600 Posts
Yeah, I thought the same thing. I found it because I was looking for the same thing you were. I would like to find someone who has or is mixing the Cobra front and rear bumpers. None yet other than that guys rear end.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bobbylx said:
Yeah, I thought the same thing. I found it because I was looking for the same thing you were. I would like to find someone who has or is mixing the Cobra front and rear bumpers. None yet other than that guys rear end.

Yeah, I wanted to do the cobra rear cover for a while, but it took some time to get the bumper section for the price I wanted to pay. I am doing a front bumper cover too, but I am not doing the Cobra fog lights, I am just doing the area in between the headlights like a 94 - 98 mustang. It just boils down to me removig the urethane "bar" (for lack of a better term) that runs side to side between the headlights just below the hood lip. Then I have to finish out the interior of that area so the larger opening is finished on the inside like the mustangs. That with the 96/97 headlight conversion, I am hoping, should turn out pretty nice. Different at least, but hopfully tastful in the end.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
cut the cobra peice out (closer to it) and get a thunderbird bumper from a junkyard cut a hole in the junkyard bumper as close to the size of the cobra cutout. get some fiberglass, and work it as close as you can. Reason I say get a junkyard bumper is because you wont have to ruin the one on your car incase you mess up. Theres probably better ways of doing it, but this way works too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts