TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Tech articles says i have a open rear end code is (W5), but I bust both wheels when i power brake or burn out. I also have traction control if it makes a difference. So my question is do I have trac-lok or not?

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
If you are getting both wheels to go while burning out you must be on nice even ground and just getting lucky. As said above if you have TA you don't have trac-lok.

Wet one tire and leave one dry and you will just spin the one wheel, which means open rear end.

;)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, ill reread my door code maybe I am wrong, cause I can lite both of them up anywhere, even while turning, on dirt. Gotta go do some burnouts :D

·
Registered
773 Posts
jack the rear end up and look at the tag it the only wat to tell!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
since it is a open rear end that does two wheel peel, should I still get the Trac-lok in the future?

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
Maybe the original rearend was replaced with a traction lok rear.

Joe

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i doubt that the whole car looks bonestock, it has 112,000 with still the 1997 spark plug wires

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
As mentioned by 5.0 Chero, you can take a look at the tag on the diff cover to determine if you have a Trac-Loc or not. If that is the factory centersection (pumpkin), then it defintely is an open carrier.

-Rod

·
Registered
239 Posts
i have an open rear end, and i can still spin both wheels

traction lock, doesnt meen you can't spin both, it just means that one wheel will only slip so much before its locked into the other one. Even without traction lock you'll still be able to spin both wheels

tony

·
Registered
773 Posts
ton6y said:
i have an open rear end, and i can still spin both wheels

traction lock, doesnt meen you can't spin both, it just means that one wheel will only slip so much before its locked into the other one.
tony
No actually they are "LOCKED" together with clutches and a spring! The clutches let one wheel turn at a different speed when going around corners. The clutches will get worn and than you can get one wheel peal! if you get one wheel to slip with track lock it need a rebuild!! A true locker locks both axles with gears or teeth that lock together and usually pop around corners or chirp the tires!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts