TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone its been almost a year now since I got my 96 thunderbird (stock 4.6 V8) always been a fan! I'm not at all a mechanic hopefully with your guy's help I can learn something here! So far I've done some light body work and paint.. no major motor work yet I've noticed I have a leak in the intake manifold which might just be a gasket problem but I've done some light reading on a pi intake which can be done with or without pi heads? I was wondering if anyone can help me understand more to this modification? Could these newer pi heads bolt onto the existing block? Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
10,391 Posts
The pi intake fits the NPI heads just fine; there's a swap thread.

Search: PI intake swap Site:tccoa.com to find the main thread, and several others that are helpful.

The pi heads will bolt right up:

Search: PI head swap Site:tccoa.com to find the main thread, and several others that are helpful.

A better combo, if you already have both, is the pi cams, in the npi heads, with the pi intake. :)

Search...

:grin2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely wanted to go for a pi cam for that aggressive idle! Being a beginner not knowing the limitations to the stock motor I worried about the engine compression also its not that I have an extra motor laying around to experiment with if anything goes wrong . I've emailed a few online companies about what cam to use but all say to take into a engine shop and go from there but I'd like to use my own hands and learn myself. Would you have any recommendations on a pi cam and pi heads to look into? Thank you!!!

·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! Yes that's the exact one but my bird doesn't have that rear brake light in the back windshield and I didn't want to add one! The cleaning is pretty easy for me the plastic is bendable enough to get my hand between the blades and wipe away any dirt. I got mine through Andy's auto at a good deal with free shipping.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Welcome!

Are you putting a high-build primer on that hood? In the first pic, there are a lot of low spots that won't just go away. I would strip it to bare metal with paint stripper, no reason not to.

Al

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome rocket!! Yeah I stripped that thing down to bare metal the pervious owner got clipped by a school bus on the front driver side I had to do light Bondo work on the hood. The 2nd photo kinda shows the progression on the hood. I ended up putting a vinyl wrap over the hood.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Okay cool. I guess we needed an intermediate pic showing bare metal, lol!

I remember using paint stripper years ago. Even with rubber gloves you still get a little burning sensation here and there.

Al

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah that stuff is no joke! I think I used like a gallon of aircraft paint remover not a fun process but it was necessary!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am digging that paint job man, all you need are some wheels and that thing will look sinister.

Anyway man I wish you the best of luck with her and welcome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts