TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay this is'nt based on the cougar but it's the 3.8 and a ford so i really need some help and fast guy's.
:(
okay, i took the sable today(91 , gs)
since my car battery died.
and on the way home when i turned it would slip , so i fighured low fliud.
i used it to jump my car and i looked under and thier was fluid leaking from the drive plate it look's like.
help me out?
first off it's a rebuilt sho axod tranny and been in the car for a year.
it's been leaking fluid but not like this.
plus when you stop hard then take off slowly there's a loud single thump.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, a Sable is a different animal. It's not that they're not responding necessarily because they don't want to help you because it's not a MN12 - it's because a Sable is front wheel drive, so it has a transaxle instead of a transmission. So while I can say "That sounds like a problem with the torque converter" Transaxles don't have them. (Or do they? I don't know) when my Capri (also front wheel drive) dumped transmission fluid one day, it was because the wheel they put on my car was messed up, and the vibration was so bad it loosened the bolts on the transmission pan. I took the pan loose, put a new gasket on it, put it back together and it was fine.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it does have a torque converter.
and it does'nt have any vibration's.
and as stated before it's a 3.8 like yall's and

·
Registered
82 Posts
Cool, if it has a torque converter, then it's probably either a torque converter seal or o-ring, or a broken torque converter. Your honest best bet is to pull the transaxle and take it to someone to fix it. If you just take the car in it's usually in the neighborhood of $1000 or more, but if you can take the tranny off yourself and bring it in, it shouldn't be more than $200, and may even be less.
I started to replace the torque converter seals on the t-bird today, and the parts cost $14.04 from FoMoCo.
Good luck - I ended up getting rid of my last FWD car because I couldn't get the CV joints out of it to pull the tranny when it started acting up. But I was young, dumb, and full of a lack of automotive knowledge, but it remains that I have no experience with transaxles, and only very little with transmissions in general. I just know that you'll have to pull the CV boots and maybe the engine to get the transaxle off, but you can rent a hoist fairly cheap. (Cheaper than that $1000 at the tranny shop) or you may find a good deal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts