TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum!, Well i am not too new to forms, I am a member of www.saturnfans.com so forms are nothing new to me, anyway's, I have a 1989 Mercury Cougar LS, 3.8L with 196,XXX Miles, and yes original head Gasket and transmission, so after running my car for about 20 min's, i shut it off, and went to start it back up about 3 mins later to move the car, and something like a loud backfire , then blue smoke for a few secs, then the car sounds like it has the chock on, running really bad, bad gas mileage, 12 MPG doing 58 MPH the car vibrated really bad, then the car sounds like the muffler is completely off, then the car has NO pick up! floored it takes 15-20 secs to get up to sixty! What could be the problem! In this condition i still drove the car for 10 miles with no problems, just noise, bad gas mileage, and no pick up! Thank in advanced! !

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
sounds like a head gasket. i would do a compression test. i would also inspect the exhaust system. could be you blew the cats, or the muffler is just fubared. those are just a couple guesses that might help you eliminate some usual suspects.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Stevinator said:
sounds like a head gasket. i would do a compression test. i would also inspect the exhaust system. could be you blew the cats, or the muffler is just fubared. those are just a couple guesses that might help you eliminate some usual suspects.
So how could i check to see if i blew the Cats? Everything seems tight. Also about the head gasket, i did not have any fluid mixtures, but did have the steam out of the muffler. Thanks for the replys.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts