TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well, here goes, went to start my car yesterday. when i turned the key, it cranked once, the i could hear the engine turn slowly, and after a couple seconds it finally started. then later in the day, it did the same thing, when i went to drive, the engine was vibrating, adn felt very uinder powered. also, there was a massive trail of blue/white smoke out of the tail pipes, i mean MASSIVE. so i pulled over and shut it off. i then turned it on and it did the same thing, only it ranfor about 5 seconds and stalled, and now it wont start. help! i was thinkin it might be a hg, but that wouldn't cause it to not run. so maybe a spun bearing? idk, just lookin 4 help.
o, also it was over heating pretty bad the other day, the thermostat wasn't opening so i had to change it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
sounds like a head gasket. my mothers taurus did the dame thing u described two years ago. luckily i was like a hundred feet from teh shop my dad worked at so i could push it into a bay

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
A headgasket could very easily prevent the engine from turning over if the engine has become hydro-locked. A spun main bearing could do the same. Try turning the engine over by hand with a breaker bar. If it won't turn, do the same thing, only with the spark plugs removed this time. If it turns, then the engine was likely hydro-locked (headgaskets). If it still won't turn, then you probably have a spun bearing. If the engine was hydro-locked, you can plan on seeing something like this:

-Rod

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
o ok, um when i take the spark plugs out, do i turn the car on and c if it cranks over? or do it by hand w the breaker bar?

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
I would recommend doing it by hand. You have a lot more control over it that way.

-Rod

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
o, ok. i'll have to try that in the morning. yes another long car project!:thumbsd:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
simple, iron block, aluminum heads, and there isn't really too much between the cylinders and the coolant passages

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
SCsmo said:
simple, iron block, aluminum heads, and there isn't really too much between the cylinders and the coolant passages
That combined with the OEM head bolts that were idiotically designed to flex and move around to compensate for the different expansion/contraction rates of the two different types of material used. It's like putting a piece of paper between two pieces of sandpaper and rubbing. The paper is going to be gone pretty quick.
-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
fel-pro gaskets, ARP head studs, 180* t-stat, flush coolant once or twice a year.
-Thomas

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mmm, hydrolocked. this should b fun

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you know, between my friends and i, we own 6 mn12s (4 cougars 2tbirds) and of all of them, 4 have blown headgaskets, and y haven't the other 2? simple... V8!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
o, so i found out.........drum role please.........blown hg's!, like we all new, but it gets better........a cracked head!!!

·
8,978 Posts
very nice. sorry to hear that! Hey, good excuse for ported heads right? :)
-Thomas

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, at the very least. i think i'm puttin a remanned in.....fun

1 - 16 of 16 Posts