TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I did a search and could not find details on the ac pulley bearing. Mine is toast. Do I need to replace the whole compressor or can I just replace the pulley bearing?

Either case how difficult are these two jobs?

I need to get the car repaired tomorrow. So I am trying to figure out what I need to do.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked into the part. The parts store sells the pully with the clutch and electro-magnet $169.00. My compressor is toast. Does anyone sell just the pulley?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know it's been a while since this has been active, but can this bearing be put in without a press, I'm debating weather or not to buy the bearing by itself (and install it by myself), or to buy the pulley, and bearing assembly,

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bearing needs to be pressed in. I would not attempt it unless I had the correct press, etc. Otherwise, you run the risk of warping the pulley. Do yourself a favor and get a clip removal tool. There is not much room to work down there.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I hate to hijack a thread, but could you tell me how tough it is to self-install a new compressor, accumulator/drier and liquid line? (all from ackits.com of course)
I am sick of forking over money to shops for things I may be able to do myself. They say my liquid line is restricted and my compressor is on its way out. I have no cold a/c after charging with r134a. Thanks in advance for your expertise, and I apologize again for hijacking.....

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Man, I'm just following you all around today.:D

You will need the line separator tools like the ones used for the fuel filter. The zone has a plastic set for less than $10. The compressor itself is held on with 4 bolts. They are fairly easy to get at. You can do all the replacements. Then pull a vacuum on it to rid the system of moisture. Then recharge.

Rob

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks a lot, girdnerg. What about the process? Simple disconnect, swap and re-bolt of all mentioned new parts? (Accumulator/drier, liquid line and compressor) What are the line separators for? Forgive my lack of knowledge. I am a bit green when it comes to HVAC. Thanks a lot for your help.....

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The tool is to separate the lines at each connection. Just the way Ford made them I guess. An easy example is to look where your fuel lines meet the fuel rail. The connector is round and may even have a safety clip over it also. Ford didn't want this stuff coming apart accidentally.

Process is staight-forward like you said.

Make sure to relieve the system pressure first.
Remove and replace parts.
Have a vacuum pulled on the system to remove moisture and check for leaks.
Recharge with 134.

I would get a second opinion on the AC problem before you go replacing hundreds of dollars worth of parts. Might be something simple.

Rob

·
Registered
174 Posts
Rob, your advice is invaluable. One other question: How hard is it to remove then replace the belt from the compressor/clutch? I am assuming that it needs to come off and then put back on?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts