TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been through everything that I can think of in 15degree weather.
The other day while driving on the highghway my bird starting backfiring into the intake, pretty consistantly. It does this at idle and horribly upon acceleration.
It sounds like a constant popping coming from the intake (Something Like a Firecracker).
Code Scanner comes up with nothing.
Compression appears to be good.
I noticed a Black Soot type of matter coming from the exhaust pipe.

This happens both hot and cold but noticably more pronounced when hot.

Any Ideas?

Scott

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
black soot is probably carbon. sounds like its time for a tune up.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
sounds like valve seals

try some of this stuff....

-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
great_scott said:
Ok, here's a new one.

Don't know how, don't know why. But a rocker arm fell off.

Go Figure...

:uppoint:
Did you try the seafoam? Seafoam has been known to reinstall rocker arms. That's how great that stuff works! ok not really.

I had a rocker arm fall off once too, but it wasn't just a backfiring I could hear the clatter of that thing inside the valve covers. And I had to limp home at 5mph.

-Thomas

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, believe it or not the way everything came apart, the rocker wedged itself in between the valve cover and the oush rod which kept the rod up and out of the way of the lifter so there was not the normal "tap tap tap" that you would think that you would hear by the push rod banging inbetween the lifter and the valve cover.

As for limping home, that I did, but was able to hold it at 15-20 mph.

Scott

·
8,978 Posts
it takes out carbon buildup in your engine and exhaust. I put it in through a vacuum hose in my upper manifold to clean out that part too. Works wonders sometimes.
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Wow, I also had a rocker arm fall off. I guess a bolt broke. That was a couple years ago ... the repair bill was $90 in labor, $3 in parts. It felt scary ... this vibration slowly built and built. I could feel hits in the gas pedal, and then the car started to lug, and it was bad. I was on the highway at the time. Well, I was glad to escape with only $100 gone. The guy who fixed it seemed cool.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ya Seafoam can work wonders if your engine is carboned up, but you will smoke out your entire neighborhood in the process. :D I use it in my outboards twice a year and you would swear there is a forrest fire nearby. Last fall, I de-carboned the engine just upwind from the a$$hole who throws rocks in the water when we fish in "his" cove. Man, I'll bet you could have heard him b*tching a half a mile away! Just for payback, I did an extra good job. That area was so full of dense bluish white smoke, the boat traffic had to slow down to a crawl. :diablo:

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
I've been thinking about running some seafoam through one of my engines, but I'm concerned about all of the carbon and debris going through the catalytic convertors. What is everyone's take on this subject?

-Rod

·
8,978 Posts
carbon won't hurt the converters. The seafoam will probably clean those out too! That stuff is miracle liquid!
-Thomas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts