TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out if the discoloration of the intake runners i see on my heads is normal or not......both side (driver and passenger) are the same. In the picture you can notice how the bottom side of the ports are charred with oil from the recirculation from the pcv valve. Please let me know if this is normal for a 76,000 mile motor

thanks for the help in advance

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Having climbed out of a engine like yours (with a few more miles) last week, it
is totally normal. The sealing surface of the gaskets only seals the passages
not the total surface of the heads. This allows normal oxidation of the bare aluminum heads.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you talking about the intake ports themselves?

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
the crud in the ports is normal. The suspended particulates (including pcv gases
which have oil suspended in them) don’t flow symmetrically through the intake
or in the head. Totally normal.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thaks for the info.......ive heard mixed opinions on the pcv valve delete but I think i'm going to do it because my intake and as you can see here intake ports are thoroughly covered with that crap. I just don't like it in my 12 sec bird. It deserves better than that hehe :D

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
tbirdbrain said:
Having climbed out of a engine like yours (with a few more miles) last week, it
is totally normal. The sealing surface of the gaskets only seals the passages
not the total surface of the heads. This allows normal oxidation of the bare aluminum heads.

i bet his plugs were dry, unlike that guy you helped with his car;)

joseph

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
ya.. i bet he didn't have to drive through downed trees on an early friday morning to snag an intake either....

:zwall: :wavey:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no but i did have to replace my suspension (complete) after hitting a curb sideways at 40 MPH....I win :xpp:

·
Registered
46 Posts
the color of your heads is perfectly normal,
the drivers side head is where the clean air via breather tube from itake pipe
(thus why it is clean) enters the engine,
the pcv valve on the passenger side is evacuating all of your blow by and crankcase
pressure from the driver side head through the crankcase and comes out the passenger side head (thus why it is dirty) and the combustion gasses and oil mist
build up there.

you dont want to diable the pcv system
you will lose horsepower and your gaskets(valve cover, oil pan, rear main, front seals)Will leak.

the pcv system improves performance by keeping the piston rings sealed with vacuum, not to mention keeping the gaskets sealed.

as far as your intake ports
the egr system plays a big part in that build up.

hope this helps:)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes it does....tahnk you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts