TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I replaced my heater core?!! I was so proud of myself - I completely removed my instrument panel and steering column, replaced my leaking heater core, and put it all back together (without ONE SINGLE screw being left over afterwards!) with everything seeming to work properly!

THEN, later yesterday evening, my Service Engine Soon light came on - hmmm, that's an awfully big coincidence! I went to AutoZone today and had them read the DTC stored in the computer - it read as P1443, which was explained as:

"EVAP canister purge valve mechanical fault or VMV fault condition"

"ECM detected a fuel tank pressure change greater than 7 inches of H2O in 30 seconds with purge less than 0.02 lbs per minute"

Probable causes were listed as:

"Failed EVAP pressure sensor"
"Blocked hose between purge valve and FTP sensor"
"EVAP purge valve stuck closed"

O.K., could anything related to changing my heater core have caused this? I did have to use a frameless hacksaw in the engine compartment to cut the inlet/outlet tubes off the core in order to get the hoses off of it, and there was this valve or something with two lines going into it (they came up from around the area of the A/C accumulator/receiver-dryer) and one line coming out of it that ran along the firewall behind the engine (I didn't see where it went to) that I disconnected the single line from because it was kind of in my way. I did, however, make sure that I reconnected the line back onto the valve.

Where is the EVAP pressure sensor?
Where are the purge valve and FTP sensor?

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dennis

·
5,650 Posts
The EVAP purge flow sensor is located behind the front bumper, passenger side, just forward of the air intake box. There is a line that connects to the back of the throttle body adapter and runs to a metal hard line at the passenger side shock tower. Make sure that the hose didn't break or become disconnected when you were moving things around.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O.K., now my Service Engine Soon light went out last night - does that mean that the computer no longer detects the fault that initially caused it to trigger the light in the first place?

Also, the engine seems to be idling awfully low when it's in drive; it almost seems like it's going to stall when I come to a stop. FYI - when the A/C is on (and, at 146,000 miles, I'm just amazed the air even works!), the engine seems to be idling fine (but, I know that the computer raises the idle speed when the A/C compressor is energized).

Does anyone think these two issues are related - the low idle speed and the EVAP DTC stored in the computer?

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
If there is a vacuum leak as part of the EVAP issue, I could see it affecting the idle. Mine idles better after replacing all the vacuum line and the purge sensor and purge valve. My SES went on and off over the course of a month until I decided to fix it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts