TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Tbird Sport
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many moons ago the door chewed up the plastic sleeve on the striker. Cut it out and ignored the gap and slight rattle on rough roads. Now it seems to be eating the striker post and for the life of me I keep checking for slop in the hinges by lifting from handle end while open a bit and all I get is flexing of the body where hinges mount. Door closes all the way (not tight) but slightly away from body but that is likely missing striker sleeve. So if I replace the striker with a new one, is there a way to avoid it just cutting it up after a few weeks? It is a daily driver so it doesn't get much of a break. I removed a set of door hinges from a pick a part and I won't do it again. So I am reluctant to mess with the hinges/pins as they are tight. Could the spring wheel be tweaking the door?
Just puzzled as to what next.

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
9,199 Posts
I think it's inevitable that you'll need to replace the pins or the hinges. Keep putting it off is only going to make things worse.

Joe

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
If you have a cherry picker and some straps (NOT chains!!!), it will make lifting the door a million times easier for replacing the hinges / pins.

Reactions: Kenz

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
If you have a cherry picker and some straps (NOT chains!!!), it will make lifting the door a million times easier for replacing the hinges / pins.
Nice idea. I may go the red neck route when I replace mine. Hook up a tow strap to my John Deere's bucket. What is the worst that could go wrong? lol

Edit... ******* is censored, but not red neck :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,483 Posts
I’ve done it that way, but I found it to still be somewhat of a two man job, and getting to the pins was tight. When I did the ones on my car I took off the fender and accessed the pins from that end, it was a lot easier to get my cutoff wheel in without nicking anything. I did one hinge at a time, top then bottom, when I’d need to open the door a bit to remove the door end hinges for drilling I put a step stool and a block of wood with a t shirt wrapped around it under the door to set it down on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts