TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help I have a dumb ticking problem with my 93 Mercury Cougar. It has a 3.8L, automatic trans. It started yesterday, it is coming from somewhere on the driverside I really didn't notice it until I changed out the sparkplugs. But before that I had a weird raddling noise from underneath my car. I think that is the Catalytic Converter. Or so I was told. Now all I can think is " did my convertor problem cause some valve damage?" And inturn give me the stupid ticking noise?
anything anyone can think of would really help thanks.

Silver Cat

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also HAD a ticking problem, but after I changed my plugs it went away. If you ticking is only at lower RPMS and seems to fade away after you get past 2500 you should get different plugs. That's how mine was, let me know if this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still have the old plugs I'll put them beck in for now and see what happens.
Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for putting up with my stupiddity. I talk to my dad about and he reasured me to stay with motorcraft instead of going with NGK,,,,that's why I'm not a ricer..later

Silver

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I won't use anything BUT NGK on my 2 stroke toys (other foul out too easy) BUT they are the WORST plugs I've ever used on my vehicals, I ONLY use AC-delco or Motorcraft (Get the motor craft 32C plugs (copper), they need to be changed every 24,000 miles but provide more spark energy than Planiums)

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have a tick also

I changed my plugs and wires a while ago (but I had this before then) and my car ticks too. I used Platinum Plus and Factory wires as a lil side note.
My cats have gone to crap I "think" cus now and then you can hear a rattling noise from below at lower RPMs. Have you tried to put your car into different gears to see if the ticking goes away in certain gears? I know that on my car it ticks in all gears except Neutral And Reverse? Hope that isn't anything bad?

Anyways, let me know what you find to be the problem cus I want to get rid of the ticking as well. Hopefully it doesn't mean the old beast is going to die soon cus I finally got her looking the way I want. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts