TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i got a 95 4.6 that has factory duals i want to make it sound really good, deep and what not, i probably dont have the money to get the headers put in but i have no restrictions on echeck or passing any emissions since i have collectors plates... any help or dos and dont dos would help since most of you guys are way more experienced than me thanks

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
IMO Flowmaster has the best sound, but tends to drone badly inside teh car. You can get a flowmaster cat back kit from summit, and i'm pretty sure it will give you a deep rumble. Dynomax makes a kit also, but it is very quiet, although it outflows the flowmaster (ironic?).

Magnaflow, Borla, Dynomax, Flowmaster, Spintech, etc would be good choices... You might try a search too...this topic has been discussed at least 100 times before :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have the flowmaster cat back and got it from summit sounds great just wish it was a little louder.:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how much does that catback from summit set you back?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
lmpalaholla said:
i got a 95 4.6 that has factory duals ...
What are "factory duals"??? That sure wasn't an option I'm aware of.....

I've got a '95 LX....... she's got two downpipes and two mufflers but it sure isn't a "dual" exhaust....

I ordered my '96 LX from the factory and "Dual Exhaust" was not an option available. When I got her, she had two downpipes and two mufflers, but it sure wasn't a "dual" exhaust.

This is a "dual" exhaust:

It cost me $625 custom fabbed including Borla cans.

I highly recommend asking around the "gearhead" community in your town to find a guy with a small exhaust shop that enjoys project cars... Pipe is pretty cheap and if he's good, he can weld it up in half a day.... mufflers will cost you whatever you want to spend... Tell him what you're looking to do and where you're headed... if he's one of "us," he'll work with you.....

I've got nothing against pre-fab exhaust systems, I've never owned one.. But from the prices I've seen posted and the guys that have said they aren't pure bolt-ons and need an exhaust guy to install them.. I just don't see the advantage....

And except for dealership parts, I'm also a big fan of supporting the local automotive community. My exhaust guy has been a source for all kinds of local contacts -- he sent me to a local guy I didn't know existed who PnP'd my upper plenum, for instance.... and after I installed the Kooks headers, I went back to my exhaust guy to make the adjustments necessary to match em to the exhaust system....

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
96 GoldBird said:
I highly recommend asking around the "gearhead" community in your town to find a guy with a small exhaust shop that enjoys project cars... Pipe is pretty cheap and if he's good, he can weld it up in half a day.... mufflers will cost you whatever you want to spend... Tell him what you're looking to do and where you're headed... if he's one of "us," he'll work with you.....
MUCH easier said than done. People who do exhaust at exhaust shops 9-5 are pathetic.
I've got nothing against pre-fab exhaust systems, I've never owned one.. But from the prices I've seen posted and the guys that have said they aren't pure bolt-ons and need an exhaust guy to install them.. I just don't see the advantage....
One advantage is mandrel bends vs welder+hammer bends that reduce the diameter and shape of the pipe, and change the exhaust flow inside in a negative way. Another advantage is less welds that are prone to rust, cracks and leaks. It's pretty obvious to me.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
4point6r0x0rz said:
MUCH easier said than done. People who do exhaust at exhaust shops 9-5 are pathetic.
That's why I suggested finding a guy who has his own small shop .. and ENJOYS working on project cars.... not Midas, not Mienike, not Sears, but an indepent. Check around the speed shops, parts stores, custom paint shops... go to the track and ask around. There are guys out there that still love cars and enjoy working on them, and some of them are welders...

One advantage is mandrel bends vs welder+hammer bends that reduce the diameter and shape of the pipe, and change the exhaust flow inside in a negative way. Another advantage is less welds that are prone to rust, cracks and leaks. It's pretty obvious to me.
Well it isn't so obvious to me... you might be right about the mandrel bends, but looking at my system I don't see any bends over 45*, and not many over 30*, it's nearly straight line from point to point, so there may be some restriction and turbulence, but in a 2 1/2" pipe, I don't think it'll cost much power...

And I'm really curious how you figure that there will be less welds and leaks... are these prefabbed exhausts made in one piece from one piece of pipe allthe way from the downpipe to the rear bumpers??? or are they pieced together from 10' or 15' lengths??? Are they delivered in 20' long boxes, or do they come in pieces to be fit together??? If they are in pieces, are they ultimately welded, or do they connect with muffler clamps (notorious for leaking)... I'm curious, 'cause like I said, I've never owned one...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
96 GoldBird said:
That's why I suggested finding a guy who has his own small shop .. and ENJOYS working on project cars.... not Midas, not Mienike, not Sears, but an indepent. Check around the speed shops, parts stores, custom paint shops... go to the track and ask around. There are guys out there that still love cars and enjoy working on them, and some of them are welders...
ALL of my bad experiences concerning exhaust are from these small, independant shops. Same thing for a friend of mine. It finally drove him to get his own welder and do his own exhaust.
I don't think it'll cost much power...
You're willing to leave that to chance. I'm not. I want to maximize performance in every aspect of the car that I upgrade. And I don't want to do exactly the same things other people do or use exactly the same parts. I want an advantage. As long as other people are willing to compromise, that provides me with an opportunity for an advantage.
And I'm really curious how you figure that there will be less welds and leaks... are these prefabbed exhausts made in one piece from one piece of pipe allthe way from the downpipe to the rear bumpers??? or are they pieced together from 10' or 15' lengths??? Are they delivered in 20' long boxes, or do they come in pieces to be fit together??? If they are in pieces, are they ultimately welded, or do they connect with muffler clamps (notorious for leaking)... I'm curious, 'cause like I said, I've never owned one...
I'm curious too, pre-fabbed dual exhaust is next on my list. I know it's not all one-piece, but I'm SURE the kits are cut in predetermined places, not these "custom" places wherever the incompetent exhaust shop guy decides he wants to put one. I have a friend who even did his own custom exhaust on his twin-turbo Mustang. There was one place right before the muffler where he had about 8 different weld rings all on one 12" section trying to line up the pipe to the muffler.

I know the pre-fabbed kits are expensive. I would prefer they were about $500 and they should be, but these aftermarket businesses make a killing off marking up stuff. Shiite, $4,000 for a freaking supercharger? Dammmmmmmm, what a scam. You can get a whole high performance motor + trans + wiring harness + computer for about 1/4 to 1/3 that price on ebay. And EEC chips, custom tunes, and dyno testing? Forget about it! :zraped: Oh well, that's what I have to deal with since I have a TBird right now. Meanwhile, I'm saving up what I can for the exhaust kit.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
4point6r0x0rz:

I am sorry your personal experience with muffler shops has been so bad. Mine has been the opposite. However, I did not check the yellow pages to find one. I asked around the car folks and they all gave me the same name.. that's where I went.

There aren't eight welds in my whole system, well, I guess if you count the collector flanges, cat bungs and the hangers...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm very happy with my Art true duals system. Yes it's expensive but I'll never have to replace it(all stainless steel). It came in 7 sections www.speedfreak.cc
Yes you need a muffler shop to install it. There is some modifing that needs to be done. Over all it's good quilty. When they installed mine the 02 sensor on the passenger side had to be relocated. The pipes going into the X pipe had to be bent out a little to fit. And the pipe's going into the mufflers had to be bent a little(used my dynomac mufflers not ones from Art). It's a tight fit. It' took the shop 3hrs to install.
I tried local shops no one wanted to fab a system up and no one wanted to delete the third cat. Thats why I just went with the Art system. Now I had great flow! I can feel the difference with the duals! I have a great sound too.:D

·
Registered
489 Posts
I installed my flowmaster with no probs at all bolts right up,and it only toke me 45mins.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've installed both flowmaster and dynomax kits on my birds, and neither one took more than an hour or so, laying on my garage floor doing the work.

The dynomax kit costs about $100 less, and (in my opinion) looks like it belongs there. The flowmaster kit looks like a hack job (it was originally designed to be hidden under the Super Coupe bumper cover), and rusted really fast. I also used stainless flat clamps on my dynomax install. Both kits come with plain steel u-bolts included. The flowmaster kit eliminates the resonator that the 95 and older cars have, but the dynomax doesn't. maybe the pipe could be purchased from the ford dealer, or fabricatd by a shop (it's only a foot or so of 2-1/2'' pipe with a flange on one end).

Ditto the droning comments at hiway speeds with the flowmasters, that's not a problem with the dynomax. It's loud enough off idle to catch the attention of the guy in the Z28 in the lane next to you. I've had the dynomax kit on my 97 for over 4 years, and I like it. It gets a little louder over time, maybe due to internal rust in the mufflers, but it still looks like it's brand new on the outside.

Neither one will sound like a mustang, if that's what you really want.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I dunno man, I got true duels on my 75 f100 and they were made at a custom shop. They sound terrific. I guess that it is more of a personnal choice. Me I would rather save the 500 bucks. I just paid $125 to have duel bent for my bird, they will be installed in the spring. And I guess to ad injury, that is in Canadian funds. Little guy round the cornor from where I live. All bent, efw welds looks good to me. Now I do have to pick my mufflers. He said anything in the shop for $50. I willl take some pics for you. I would rather save the money for something like a $4000 super charger. Not waste it on an exhaust system. Now I am not saying that it is wrong, just to expensive. Not worth the money for what you get.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you have a supercharger on your car then the duals will definetly help! Big time! You're going to need the extra exhaust flow with the SC. It makes a difference.
The factor exhaust even catback is not up to the extra flow with the SC. To much back pressure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just got my car back today, i went to a local shop, Turner Racing, and had 2 spintech mufflers put on, i left the original 1 to 2 piping and just had all of the cats removed, they sound really good and it seems to be a little faster, i know it will be better if i get true duals but i just dont have the money right now, im saving now and i think im going to purchase a set of corsa z06 catback mufflers and have them customly ran with true duals i really like the sound and set up of those things

1 - 16 of 16 Posts