TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car began leaking gas only while running. I'm suspecting the return line just above the tank. The problem I got is that it is friggin cold outside and no shop has time to do it. But anyway the question I have is what is the best (easy) way to drain the gas from the tank. Its almost full. The book recommends siphoning, but will it be easyer to maybe take the filter off and run the pump until dry, or connect a hose to the schrader valve?

Thanks.
Mike

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Get a tire chuck like part number ATC-06 and plumb it to a 3/8” 10’ or so rubber hose.

With the car off, connect the tire chuck to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail and the other end in gas cans. Start the car and just let it idle. After about 30 minutes the car will stall and the tank will be "mostly" empty. (But while you have the tank out, I would put in a new pump.... :thumbsup: )

I've done that a few times and it worked great. Just make sure you have enough gas cans. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! New pump is coming soon... but I just got to fix the leak now.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
another easy way is you have access to the end of the large fill hose where it hits the tank without removing anything. if the hose clamp is turned so you can get at it unhook it and stick a siphon kit at wal-mart for a couple bucks soyou don't even have to suck on it :)

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
i just did mine in the last two weeks. the replacement line you are gonna have to get will be a generic straight piece of hard plastic from a parts store. we had no luck getting it to slip over the hard steel line's ribs even with heat so what we did is cut off enough of the pipe to get rid of the ribs then you can get a compression style fitting that is designed to mate steel to plastic line. It is an internal sleeve for the plastic side so it will not crush it. It will real nice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts