TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got a 98 Mark VIII trans on it's way, and have the correct TC/flywheel ready to go. Apparently, I need to change the wiring over from the old 97 style to the 98+ style. So I did a search on here and it showed a few diagrams for connector pinouts but the replies in the threads seemed to say that some of the diagrams were wrong. I am confused as to what parts I need to change over from my old 97 valvebody. I believe I need to change the TCC solenoid, is that all? Anyone got a pic of the TCC solenoid, just so I can be sure? And lastly, does anyone have a correct diagram of what wires I need to change over? Do I just remove the plug from the 98 trans harness and install the 97 harness plug onto the 98's wires? I'm trying to be really careful about this, cuz I don't feel like frying EEC's or trannies. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Read my article in the WIP forum... should explain any wiring issues you have.
Tom

·
8,239 Posts
the cleanest way to do it is to swap the entire wiring harness out of your 97 tranny and put it in the 98 tranny.

Then swap the 97 mlps and TCC solinoid onto the 98 tranny.

Make sure that you remove the Mark Mount and use a tbird mount.

Other than that it is a drop in. Both myself and Tom have experience with this.

JH

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
JustinH said:
the cleanest way to do it is to swap the entire wiring harness out of your 97 tranny and put it in the 98 tranny.

Then swap the 97 mlps and TCC solinoid onto the 98 tranny.

Make sure that you remove the Mark Mount and use a tbird mount.

Other than that it is a drop in. Both myself and Tom have experience with this.

JH
I would beg to differ... I put a '99 GT 4R70W in my '95 Cougar, changed the TCC Solonoid, MLPS, and re-pinned the harness for the new connector. The circuit board is much cleaner than the wires, and if you where to look at my re-pinned harness, you would think it's factory... It's really not hard to re-pin the harness. took me like 10 minutes, at most.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
will that article work w/ any 98+ 2wd 4r70w? I checked car-part.com and some of the truck ones had 2 different 4r70w's, both being auto's.

edit:
i checked it out again
A.T., 8-280 (4.6L), (4R70W, AODE-W), 4x2, ID F85P-FA (PKF-BB)
A.T., 8-280 (4.6L), (4R70W, AODE-W), 4x2, ID F85P-BA (PKF-AX)
and also for the 5.4 liter for 1998
A.T., 8-330 (5.4L), E4OD, 4x2

:2huh:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
the difference is that youll need to use a 21tooth speedo gear if you use a stock 5.4L tranny... the mk8 one uses the stock one if i recall right. not really a big deal, but it would be if you ever wanted 3.73s in the future... i was more worried about strength than mods at the time I swapped mine in, so you see what won out. lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
so internally the 5.4 tranny is stonger? is there any difference in the gear ratios in the different 4R70W applications? what would you have to do to use the 5.4 tranny with 3.73s?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts