TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well things were going way to good to not have something bad happen with my head swap....I was installing the tensioner guides and one of the little ten MM bolts snapped off like butter...I cannot get it back out and I think the threads are slightly stripped....Any advice as to what to do....I was thinking heli coil and got a kit but I don't have any experience witht them and wasn't sure if they'd work in aluminum or not....also I am worried that if one did it that the other may follow.....should I drill them all out and uses bigger bolts? Hopefully someone out there has a good answer... thanks guys

this is the bolt hole I am speaking off

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
sears has a tool to back out those broken bolts.... also a word to the wise is allways use anti sieze on those bolts , especially when screwing into "Ford aluminum", and the tq spec is 16 t0 22 ft lbs only.... In Tq wrenches we trust... The helicoil wil be a good deal if the hole is stripped.........good luck

·
Registered
247 Posts
Drill it out with one of those backwards drill bits. After it's out then run a bottoming tap in there to clean it up before falling back on alternatives.

Although it is a nuisance, you're still in good shape so don't panic. HeliCoils work fine, there are also a very large number of other alternatives but HeliCoil is the easiest to remember. Locktite makes a liquid thread repair, someone out there makes a solid insert that works exceptionally well but needs a bit of locating and epoxy may do it too if you use a release agent on the threads of the bolt.

Torque wrenches are important, as was pointed out by Leland. Not everyone has precisely calibrated hands ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
the backwards drill he's talking about is called an easy out, napa, sears or your local hardware store has them. Just drill a hole in the center with size on the ez out and then give the ez out a little tap with the hammer and turn out if its really stuck dont turn till it breaks because its hardend steel and is brittle. Heat the surounding area fiirst.
N8!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats the weird thing....i used a torque wrench set at 18 lbs....the bolt just twisted and snapped.....i suppose i will try the backwards drill thing first

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
loopyj22 said:
thats the weird thing....i used a torque wrench set at 18 lbs....the bolt just twisted and snapped.....i suppose i will try the backwards drill thing first
Not to sound like an @**, but in/lb or ft/lb?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I'm useing an old factory manual, and generally the 16-22 ft/ lb applies to 8mm and 10 mm bolts in the heads, etc... 16 -18 ft lbs may be specific for that location, or a upgraded spec... in any case, its not much , and being darned gentle with the beer can aluminum is necessary...................

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Just leave it, Windsors don't even have that bolt.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kdanner.....Are you saying that the chain guide only has one bolt on it and the pin that it fits over.....Do you think that is enough to hold the guide from breaking???

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Windsors have one bolt at the top and one at the bottom, not 3 like the Romeos do.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats the thing there isn't three bolts....only two and a pin that the extreme bottom of the guide goes onto...if I left that one bolt out then there'd only be one bolt and the pin holding it in....i think the heads may be windosr heads....i know they are NPI but cam off a mustang.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'm not sure about the cam I do know its a PI cam.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts