TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is what my tbird(1996) is doing, when I push the brakes the pedal is very hard and they do not stop the car very good it just coasts along, and at unless I plan to stop 50 feet in advance...I am not able to stop the car. I have never had this happen. Is it the brake booster or master cylinder?????

I am looking at changing out both the MC and Booster on Sat.

And can I fix it myself? Any special things that I need to know?

Thanks.....

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
Do you hear a hissing inside the car? How about under the hood? I had a massive vacuum hose leak under the hood that was causing the same problems.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No hissing at all. And the break pedal is super hard to push, it takes both feet to slow it down from 35 mph.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
96 non-abs car?

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes 96 no abs 4.6, cruise.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sounds like the diaphragm is leaking inside the booster, you may not hear it but i'd bet it's the booster.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input.

I am replacing the Mc and the booster tomorrow.

I really thought I would have more input here from all the users and club members.....????

·
Registered
875 Posts
Thanks for your input.

I am replacing the Mc and the booster tomorrow.

I really thought I would have more input here from all the users and club members.....????
Fridays are usually quiet this time of year. Lots go camping etc for the weekends. ;)

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Yeah work too. LOL.

I vote for booster. You can test it by running motor, shut off, pull vac line off booster. Should make a good hisss.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks guy for the input.

I changed out the m/c and the booster. Two things happened now.

1. my cruise has stopped working.

2. And I could not get the right rear caliper to bleed, I switched out the hose and no difference??

Jerry

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
1. May be the BOO (brake on/off) switch on the brake pedal got bumped around. Are you brake lights on all the time or do they work at all?

2. When you had the hose off, did fluid come out? If so, they caliper is probably clogged and needs rebuilt.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1. I thought I reinstalled the switch and items around the brake pedal, I have normal brake lights work ok and do not stay on.

2. Yes there was just a drop of fluid coming out, I guess I am going to take it off and clean it out. Or replace it. The rear does not do to much braking anyway.

My car brakes nice and straight and smooth now.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,517 Posts
There's a piston-like switch that attaches to the brake pedal near the brake light switch that turns off the cruise control, it has nothing to do with turning the brake lights on or off. Sometimes when working on brakes you can hyper-extend it you lift up on the pedal too far with it connected, which will in turn have the switch constantly having an open circuit. That in turn tells the cruise control that the brakes are always being applied. I fixed this problem by taking it off, opening it up, and re-adjusting the piston. I can't remember if you can fix it by just pushing the piston in all the way though.

Yes, it sounds like your bleeder port is clogged up. If you have positive braking on that wheel, I wouldn't worry too much about it; if it bothers you, you can get a replacement caliper.

·
Registered
933 Posts
This comment is probably not relevant to any of the new problems, but I went to Jiffy Lube and they performed a fuel injector clean. They hooked up something to somewhere that involved removing a brake booster line. As I drove off I had to make a turn right after you leave the garage, so I went to slow down, pedal was hard as a rock and I was literally out of my seat standing on it trying to get it to stop. I very slowly idled around back to the place and said "what happened" he said, "Oh, must have not gotten the booster line all the way back on" he push pushed it back on a bit further, and it was fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts