TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone. I've offically ported my upper and lower intakes to get some better flow. Now I'm going for the exhaust and my tax return will be in on Friday, and I will be getting a setup done. Now, which will be better for my 3.8 engine.

Magnaflow- I've read that they dont sound very good on the 3.8 engines when I searched on this topic. But I've also heard that they are the best performance wise to put on the engines.

Flowmaster 40 series- Love the sound of flowmaster, but again, droning out with age, and dont want a lot of drone, just a good sound thats better than the stock exhaust.

What I'm looking at doing is replacing the 3rd cat with a muffler, and doing something with the resonator. But how exactly would I go about doing this? What part number do I need to look into, cause all I see are si/do or di/do and i've seen that you shouldnt go true duals with the 3.8 cause they dont sound good on that engine. Now would you flip the si/do around so you get di/so? Please let me know which part number I need to look into. I will be buying the muffler off PerformancePeddler off e-bay (cause he's got some bomb prices) and I will probably be doing the setup myself, because I'm sure no exhaust shop will touch the 3rd cat or resonator on that car.

Would definately like some help on this one, remember I only have a few days!

Yes I'll be doing it myself cause the shop wont touch the 3rd cat because the 3.8 is "a dirty burning engine, thats why it has 3 cats on there, so we cant touch it" But of course they'll do piping for it.

·
Administrator
8,177 Posts
Blindloser1080 said:
I'll be doing it myself cause the shop wont touch the 3rd cat because the 3.8 is "a dirty burning engine, thats why it has 3 cats on there, so we cant touch it" But of course they'll do piping for it.
Really? The 4.6 has 3 cats also! :rolleyes:

Get a Magnaflow resonator to replace the 3rd cat/factory resonator and go with the Dynomax cat back.

Joe

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
Blindloser1080 said:
Magnaflow- I've read that they dont sound very good on the 3.8 engines when I searched on this topic.
Where did you read that? I'd definitely disagree. I have a couple sound clips of my Splitport 94 LX in the "official exhaust clip thread". Have a listen.

-Rod

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
question though. Wouldnt it sound better with the magnaflow because of the splitport setup, because technically arent you pushing more air through the engine?

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
The splitport intake/heads MIGHT make a minute difference in exhaust tone, but I'd say that pipe size, muffler location, and type of catalytic convertors would have a much greater effect on the sound.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
i have stock 2 cats into a di/so magnaflow midmounted to dual tips out back on my 3.8 and it sounds alot better than stock. gives u a little grumble. for a 3.8 it don't sound ricey at WOT.

dean

by the way i bought a si/do, and they flipped it, guy says they are reversible to make a di/so

1 - 6 of 6 Posts