TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which should i do:

A. buy a used 8.8 rear end, swap in steeper gears, probably 3.55s, and stronger halfshafts
or
B. install a shift kit, tranny cooler and fresh mercon V

any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks.

·
8,239 Posts
both.

You won't be happy with 3.55's.

3.73's or 4.10s would be more ideal.

I still have some FRPP 3.73 pumpkins for sale, check out the thread and pm me if you are intersted.

JH

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
If you have a 93 and an AOD I don't think you want to install Mercon V according to the tech articles. I could be wrong though.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
justin,
i have about $250 to spend so i have to choose one. i would be interested in your pumpkins but i dont think i have enough to get one. i plan to get a used rear end and rebuild it and swap in 3.73s.

MM - i think mercon V will work with an AOD.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I would say the shifkit.
You will still have some money left over (probably about 1/2), to go to whatever (or save). Plus the cooler will help your tranny (just flushing it will).
Having the firmer/hard shifts makes the car much more fun to drive IMO.

Ppl say gears will help a lot, and I do believe they should, but I didn't really notice anything as far as 1/4 mile with 4.10's. I may just need some more power to get good use out of them though.
If you found a good used rear-end right now, go for that, but if you can find one most of the time, then I say wait and do the shifkit/cooler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts