TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking now for awhile at newer cars to replace the aging Bird. Problem is I'm extremely indesisive and have a hard time sticking with one idea. I'm looking for a unique sporty fun to drive whip and have found a few locally in my price range. One is a 2002 Focus SVT w/ 36000 KM's going for 13k Cdn. The other a 2000 Mustang GT auto 90k KM's for 12,500 CDN. The Focus I'd get for its handling and 6spd tranny, the mustang for it's raw straight line performance. Now reliability is a big factor for me. Besides regular maintenance (fluids, brakes etc...) is there anything I should watch for these cars? Any I should shy away from?

Any other car ideas, feel free to shoot em my way and Ill look into them. I just like hearing second opinions on things to help out abit!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Big_Irish said:
I'm looking for a unique sporty fun to... One is a 2002 Focus SVT... The other a 2000 Mustang GT auto!
I will say that the SVT is unique, but it is a Focus. A Mustang, well it is something I can see looking out any window of my house. Not exactly unique! Are you planning on selling the Bird or trading it in? A GTO would be fun, but expensive.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Bird will be sold. It has high mileage and some small nagging problems. The Bird is amazingly reliable and has given me 0 engine and tranny problems. Just stupid little cheap things that I don't have patience for. It would make a perfect winter car.

I wish I could afford a GTO but my price range is 12000 to 15000 CDN at the very most. Nice GT's arent that common around here, so i put it on my list. Reliability, uniqueness and fun factor are the priorities. The SVT would be bunch of fun but cant find much on reliability records.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Is FWD vs. RWD a consideration? Seems like that could play into the "fun factor".

I've heard hit-or-miss things about Focus reliability. Some have said really good, others have had problems. Anyone else hear anything similiar?

OTOH, the Mustang's been around since like the 15th century and of course the GT has Ford's trusty 4.6L.

Living in Canada, wouldn't you want a car that handled well in the snow? The Mustang is definitely not that car... lol.

Well, good luck!

John

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FWD/RWD doesnt matter much to me, RWD would be better but doesnt matter.

Winter tires do miracles up here in the snow, all id really need.

With a mustang I'd see alot more speeding tickets and street light battles. Suppose I'd have to factor those costs in :tongue:
The SVT would be a more go out in the twisty country roads and let er rip.

I was looking at at an 01 Acura 3.2 CL type S. But I've heard tranny problems and expensive timing belt changes.

Wish i could afford a WRX!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well, I'd go with something that has less then 90k km if you're buying something. It's what, 56k miles, however if you can get something cool that has a lot less go for it. But personally, I'd go with a Mustang over a Focus. Maybe look for a Mustang with little less on the odometer. Good luck mate!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts