• Other: Please specify.

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided I'd like to upgrade my 12year old factory premium sound speakers I'd like to know what everyone would recommend. I'm looking for direct fit 5x7's or 6x8's.

I'm torn between these few so far but am open to other options as well.

Rockford Fosgate
Pioneer Premier
Cerwin Vega
Kicker
Alpine
Boston Acoustics
Other:

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm also in the 100-150 range for a set of 2, so 200-300 for all four. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'd recommend Alpine or Boston Acoustic speakers.

I just installed a stereo system in my '97 T-Bird last week. I installed a Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X693 receiver, a Sony XM-4S 4-channel amp and Boston Acoustics S85 speakers front and rear (I've always been told it's always a good idea to use identical, or at least the same brand, speakers so that you get similar sound from all around) and I'm very happy with the sound! I can crank the sound up so loud it actually hurts my ears and the speakers show no signs of distorting!

I had a 1994 T-Bird that I bought brand-new in '94 and I remember I put a system that used Boston Acoustic speakers in that car, too. I remember being very happy with the sound of that system also.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I paid $70.10 (with FREE shipping) per pair on eBay for my Boston Acoustics speakers - brand-new, never used and still in the boxes!

Dennis

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Yah i was very happy with my Boston Acoustics (the OLDER Rally Components) i had them hooked to a bridge 4.1 Amp (Alpine V12 running 2.1) at @ 90w/ch (as the specs said) And i could get the rear view mirror to shake with the bass.. and that's with the turned sub off (powered by it's own 250W amp) and with the HP filter set at around 60-70HZ..

Haven't had experiences with the their newer stuff thou.. except on the odd time Via cars at work.. but they still seem good.. and i bet hooked to a decent amp they will still sound very good :) Also MBquart's aren't bad either

·
Registered
238 Posts
Go to: www.hifisoundconnection.com. Check the price on their Kickers.. I paid $99.90 shipped for their 680's that are priced at $139.95 a pair at Crutchfield. They sound GREAT!!
I need to add: That $99.90 was for 2 pair (a total of 4 each). And the Crutchfield price Is for 1 pair. These Kickers will give you quite a bit of bass for 6 X 8's. Better than anything else I have heard.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
what model of boston acoustics do people recommend? I want something that will put out some bass in case i don't transfer my sub over

·
Registered
933 Posts
Go to: www.hifisoundconnection.com. Check the price on their Kickers.. I paid $99.90 shipped for their 680's that are priced at $139.95 a pair at Crutchfield. They sound GREAT!!
I need to add: That $99.90 was for 2 pair (a total of 4 each). And the Crutchfield price Is for 1 pair. These Kickers will give you quite a bit of bass for 6 X 8's. Better than anything else I have heard.
These are the exact pair I want from the exact website that I want to get a set from. I have not heard them, but $50 a pair for Kickers, that can't be beat. They are refurbs, but what's it matter as long as they work, right? If I were you I'd go with these, but to each his own. The Bostons would sound nice too.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wound up ordering the kickers thanks everyone.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Let us know how YOU think they sound, please. They arent subs but have considerable base for what thery are.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let us know how YOU think they sound, please. They arent subs but have considerable base for what thery are.
I think they sound great. They have great mid/high range. They have suprisingly decent low range for what they are. Anyone looking for something with a lot of low end this isn't it, that's what subs are for. But as a component speaker these are great. Definately worth the $109 I paid for all four speakers shipped from Hifisoundconnection.com. I like them so much that I've ordered another set to replace the speakers in my other car as well.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think they sound great. They have great mid/high range. They have suprisingly decent low range for what they are. Anyone looking for something with a lot of low end this isn't it, that's what subs are for. But as a component speaker these are great. Definately worth the $109 I paid for all four speakers shipped from Hifisoundconnection.com. I like them so much that I've ordered another set to replace the speakers in my other car as well.
Did you get the components? I'm torn between the components and the nicer coax, because the comp. are in the lower group of speakers, supposedly not as nice as the level of speaker the coax are in.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yeah...I need to change mine as well. But I think I will wait and install a 10" sub when I do so that I have on record, when everything was replaced, all at once. I'm thinking of going with a CVR10 as far as sub and I'll probably try an entire kicker setup. Kicker Kicks @$$!!!

Also... WTH made Ford decide to be different and go with 6x8's? I know it's a stupid thing to ask, but with the vast selection of 6x9's... Wouldn't it be easier? But hey, at least it's unique..

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yeah...I need to change mine as well. But I think I will wait and install a 10" sub when I do so that I have on record, when everything was replaced, all at once. I'm thinking of going with a CVR10 as far as sub and I'll probably try an entire kicker setup. Kicker Kicks @$$!!!

Also... WTH made Ford decide to be different and go with 6x8's? I know it's a stupid thing to ask, but with the vast selection of 6x9's... Wouldn't it be easier? But hey, at least it's unique..
Kicker CVR10 FTW! :D
I'd talk with a sales person to make sure your getting the right Ohms. They're kinda weird because they have 2 voice coils, and the ohm rating is for one coil, and then you have to wire it in series or parallel. So MY amp can run 4 ohms bridged (and I think that's standard, but I don't know, make sure you know your amp) so I had to buy the Kicker CVR10 2 ohm, sounds weird, but then you wire it in series and it's total load is 4 ohm. It could be wired for 1 ohm too, but I don't think that's real useful. If you buy a CVR10 4 ohm, then you can have a 2 ohm or 8 ohm (I think 8 ohm is better if your running 2 subs in parallel, so then the subs together are 4 ohms)

As far as the 6x8, I'm going to go with Kickers also. They look nice and are cheap from hifisoundconnection.com I just don't know if I want the nice coax all around, or the cheap coax in the rear with the components in the front (I like to keep all my speakers in the same class (either KS series or DS series for example) just so power ratings are more equal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts