TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi im Jim I'm new to the forum, and I have a few questions about my 1987 v6 Thunderbird.

1. Why are my headlights still so dim. I put new Silverstar lights in it i sanded and polished the light covers and i put a new alternator in.

2. Why don't my high beams stay on unless i hold the stick to put them on back?

3. My heat has stopped working it blows cold air out no matter what and ther is no wetness on the passenger side so i dont think its the heater core.

Please help me with these problems. Has anyone else had them?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
1. Dont know about the headlights.

2. try pushing the stick forward that you are using. I'd be willing to bet the high beams will stay on then. Either that or the switch is screwed up in the column.

3. You may have air trapped in the system somewhere. I would try and bleed the system a bit to double-check. I would also recommend replacing the thermostat, because yours sounds like it may be stuck.

Jay

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
FordMan77 said:
2. try pushing the stick forward that you are using. I'd be willing to bet the high beams will stay on then. Either that or the switch is screwed up in the column.
I believe that the fox body cars had the classic "pull for highs and pull for dims" type switch. I would bet that the switch is bad.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Ah, couldn't remember. But now that I think about it, I think you're right. So yes, the switch is probably broken.

Jay

·
Registered
128 Posts
it might be the multi function switch but i would also check the piece that the bulbs themselves plug into. I was having this same problem...got tired of having to hold the MFS back all the way. Spliced in new bulb connectors and put in new bulbs and it fixed it. I am still having wierd MFS issues with my wipers though.

·
Registered
443 Posts
All modern thermostats that I know of are designed to stick open if they fail.

·
Registered
252 Posts
As far as I know it will not overheat your car but your heat or air won't work like it should if it's stuck open.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Is your coolant completely full? Might as well replace thermostat for price, if you have extra money to cover it.

For the lights, you could try adding in relays, so when you turn your lights on, the wire turns the relay on. The power is coming from the battery, which is closer to the lights. Might make it brighter, but for under $10 it doesn't hurt to try. Have universal relay wiring diagram.

Add some foglights on there. I've done that with every vehicle, and it helps. You could make them come on with the highs and the lows by using a pair of diodes and a relay, another few dollars. If you do this and the one above, should only cost you $15 for both, plus foglights. You can get some nice foglights at Wal-Mart for $20, you just need to figure out where to put them.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
The multifunction switch on the Fox cars is really easy to change. I think there's only about 2 screws holding it on (and I know at least the '83-'86 are total crap.) Just have to remove the shroud from the column and it's pretty self-explanatory.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts