TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone so I just bought a 97’ t-bird LX 4.6L and wanted to get some direction on how I should go about upgrading to performance parts and what’s the best place to go about doing so. I’m really just looking to add some pep and power to the car. If I could get to around 250-275 whp I’d consider it a success. Thanks everyone in advance and I’m excited to join the community!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Youre looking to add about 100whp to your car then. So, same basics. PI intake, 262ah cams, PI heads, good tune. Thatll get your power.
To liven up the car, get 3.73 rear gears, Jmod the transmission, and get a 2500stall convertor. Get a trans cooler too just to make it last longer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Youre looking to add about 100whp to your car then. So, same basics. PI intake, 262ah cams, PI heads, good tune. Thatll get your power.
To liven up the car, get 3.73 rear gears, Jmod the transmission, and get a 2500stall convertor. Get a trans cooler too just to make it last longer.
Awesome thanks for your feedback I appreciate it. Do you have any good references on where I can shop not only for those parts but other performance parts as well? Would parts for the same year 4.6 mustang be compatible as well? Sorry if these are amateur question I’m still new to this whole process.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,207 Posts
Awesome thanks for your feedback I appreciate it. Do you have any good references on where I can shop not only for those parts but other performance parts as well? Would parts for the same year 4.6 mustang be compatible as well? Sorry if these are amateur question I’m still new to this whole process.
Check the Technical articles on this site for instructions on the Jmod. Check Circle D for a torque converter. For the trans cooler check autozone for the 679-911 Trans cooler. It's under $100. They can search the part number. 3.73 gears can be purchased at Summit Racing and I'd believe Jegs. But you need someone competent to install them unless you know how and have the tools. As far as Mustang compatibility goes, most engine parts from the Mustang and the Tbird are the same. But there is basically nothing in common with the Chassis and the suspension between the Tbird and Mustang.

Reactions: AshtonNorris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the Technical articles on this site for instructions on the Jmod. Check Circle D for a torque converter. For the trans cooler check autozone for the 679-911 Trans cooler. It's under $100. They can search the part number. 3.73 gears can be purchased at Summit Racing and I'd believe Jegs. But you need someone competent to install them unless you know how and have the tools. As far as Mustang compatibility goes, most engine parts from the Mustang and the Tbird are the same. But there is basically nothing in common with the Chassis and the suspension between the Tbird and Mustang.
Do you have any good exhaust recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,364 Posts
Trubendz.com used to make a full kit for these cars, but they no longer sell the cat downpipes. What they do sell is still a good starting point.

How's the suspension? Ball joints, shocks, brakes all in good order? More power's no good if you can't control the car. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trubendz.com used to make a full kit for these cars, but they no longer sell the cat downpipes. What they do sell is still a good starting point.

How's the suspension? Ball joints, shocks, brakes all in good order? More power's no good if you can't control the car. :)
Thanks for the suggestion! Everything seems to be in good order however I just bought the car a few days ago so I need to get a certified mechanic to diagnose it as well as I need to do all routine and preventive maintenance before anything else. I’m still a ways away before getting anything mentioned above. Maybe one other question would he suspension? I do want to lower the car a bit but don’t know what or where is a good starting point.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Reactions: AshtonNorris
1 - 8 of 8 Posts