TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's one that seems to be kinda' the opposite of the question that is being asked here: how do I make this mofo a little quieter? Granted, it's about as loud as it can get, here's what I've got right now:

Catless, resonator less, 2.25" custom Y-pipe in to Super Coupe (whatever diameter that is, maybe same as stock V8) rear Y-pipe. Right now it just ends at the rear Y section (I think the outlet is 2.25" OD). I stuck some turn downs on there just for giggles until I figure out what I want to do for mufflers.

Here's what I want: when I put my foot to the floor, I want it to be kinda loud. Not "HOLY CRAP THE WORLD IS ENDING" loud, I just want a good report. Likewise, I'd like to hear a little V8 gurgle when I'm idling through downtown.

BUT, I can't take the farking drone that the single-chamber Flowmasters had. Is there any way that I can get a quiet-ish sound at 2000-2500 RPM cruise, a nice loud roar at 4000 RPM, and a pleasant burble at idle - 2000? Can that be done with just rear mufflers? Performance... this is a stock '93 5.0L breathing through a 2-into-1-into-2 setup, so it's not a performance setup. Just looking for good -tolerable- sound. Little help?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Is there any way that I can get a quiet-ish sound at 2000-2500 RPM cruise, a nice loud roar at 4000 RPM, and a pleasant burble at idle - 2000?
exactly what i want. nice rumble at idle, decent sound at cruise, and loud roar at 4k and up

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
you need a Y pipe a 3'' single pipe with one dynomax racebullet muffler...that's what is on my bird...i never would have considered a single exhaust nor such a large pipe, but it does exactly what you describe for sound...good and not too loud at idle no drone and screams and sounds GREAT at WOT

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
^^ Still planning to do the same thing on mine. If I didn't have to re-buy my SCT Tuning stuff, I would have done this already.

·
Super Moderator
12,067 Posts
... here's what I've got right now:

Catless, resonator less, 2.25" custom Y-pipe in to Super Coupe (whatever diameter that is, maybe same as stock V8) rear Y-pipe. Right now it just ends at the rear Y section (I think the outlet is 2.25" OD). I stuck some turn downs on there just for giggles until I figure out what I want to do for mufflers.

Here's what I want: when I put my foot to the floor, I want it to be kinda loud. Not "HOLY CRAP THE WORLD IS ENDING" loud, I just want a good report. Likewise, I'd like to hear a little V8 gurgle when I'm idling through downtown.

BUT, I can't take the farking drone that the single-chamber Flowmasters had. Is there any way that I can get a quiet-ish sound at 2000-2500 RPM cruise, a nice loud roar at 4000 RPM, and a pleasant burble at idle - 2000? Can that be done with just rear mufflers? Performance... this is a stock '93 5.0L breathing through a 2-into-1-into-2 setup, so it's not a performance setup. Just looking for good -tolerable- sound. Little help?
Put some mufflers on it! What do you expect for a car that has no mufflers?

I recommend the BORLA PRO XP's. Check out this thread for how mine sound. There are several videos there with a good selection of different conditions to hear the exhaust.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=128077

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh man, mufflers, that's a good idea, I'll look in to those. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the links, but I really am interested in the amount of drone that the exhibit at part-throttle cruise (say, 2200 RPM). Do they resonate in the cabin, much? They do sound good on hard acceleration.

Earl: I got the pre-bent rear section brand new and cheap, otherwise I would have gone single. I really like that look, too.

Gotta think about it a little more, will post a clip or something when I get it dialed in where I want it. Thanks for the responses.

·
Super Moderator
12,067 Posts
Hi Josh,

Sorry to state the obvious. :facepalm:

The sound from my exhaust in the cabin is noticeable but not unbearable.

Here's one more video for you to check out and make your own decision about how it sounds. This one is from a short drive that I took around some back streets near where I live. I'd say my average speed was about 60 MPH. It was shot from inside the car and, as you can see, the passengers side window was cracked just a little.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to go with.

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rv-33Covuvc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rv-33Covuvc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

·
Registered
892 Posts
^^ Still planning to do the same thing on mine. If I didn't have to re-buy my SCT Tuning stuff, I would have done this already.
Why?

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts