TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get one with a fan, and also with -AN fittings to use with braided stainless line instead of the rubber lines. What's everyone's opinion in regards to minimum fan CFM and GVW ratings of the cooler itself? Intended location is installed in front of the radiator, I have no condenser installed so there's plenty of space for anything.

The reason I'm upgrading is due to the fact that I'm considering a custom converter and as it is now the stock-spec Mustang converter pushes the temps over 180 when it's hot out and the car is driven hard. I forget what the specs on the existing cooler are though, so please don't ask :D I just got the largest plate cooler Discount Auto had at the time.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
hotbird said:
I have no condenser installed so there's plenty of space for anything.
So you're running no a/c then?

·
Registered
6,223 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
The 4739 that Vic posted is a great cooler, I bought one a few months ago and they are very well built pieces :)

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
+No need for a fan, just put it where it gets some air. No need for the external bypass either they are worthless. Run 3/8 steel lines directly to that massive cooler and your transmission will never over heat.
Alan

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the car has no ac installed. May add it back later when all the mods are done, but probably not. It just gets in the way when working under the hood, there's alot more room w/o it.

Al, did it start getting hot when you added the blower, if so it may be the low cfm that fan puts out. It looks like a nice cooler otherwise.

dirtyd0g, what size is the stock line?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
With the coolers Vic posted, I can't find a way to run -an stuff to get to braided lines without some hodgepodge of fittings that will rob flow or using a compression fitting to go to 3/8 steel lines on each end.
If you find the parts to do it let me know
Darrin

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
hotbird said:
Al, did it start getting hot when you added the blower, if so it may be the low cfm that fan puts out. It looks like a nice cooler otherwise.
I haven't run it long enough to get it that hot since putting the blower on. With prices of 93 gas I've been trashing the wife's car instead. I've bypassed my radiator and it seems like the trans takes longer to heat up.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, yeah 93 gas=ripoff. And I guess the only way to get a good cooler with -an fittings is from Summit and the like.

·
Registered
348 Posts
dirtyd0g said:
+No need for a fan, just put it where it gets some air. No need for the external bypass either they are worthless. Run 3/8 steel lines directly to that massive cooler and your transmission will never over heat.
Alan
Why are the bypasses worthless? Do you think it's worthwhile to put bigger lines in? These questions will help both hotbird and I hopefully :)
Thanks ;)

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
We tested the bypasses they only work at temperatures below freezing. At that point you are going to want to warm the car up before driving anyway. 3/8 lines are larger and yes I think they are worth using.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thxs :)
So being up here in Canada I should use the bypass?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Icarus said:
Thxs :)
So being up here in Canada I should use the bypass?
Are you still using the cooler/heater in the radiator? Or stand alone cooler? No need for a bypass if you keep the heater in the system.
I run mine stand alone since my Cobra radiator has no cooler/heater. If you run stand alone in the winter in Canada you will have a tough time getting it warm enough. I have the bypass (Alan installed the cooler and bypass). I think we figured it opened below 70 degrees F, so it might help a little below freezing. I keep my car in the garage and let it warm up before driving in the N. Alabama winter. By the time I drive 15 miles to work it gets up to about 145 degrees F. What is too cool for transmission fluid? That is another discussion.
I plan on blocking the airflow on the cooler this winter and see what happens on my daily commute.
http://www.dana.com/Automotive_Systems/images/PDFs/TC_Brochure_2004_Website.pdf

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
As far as I am concerned anything above 100 degrees is fine for transmission fluid temps. I really expected better control from the bypass. In canada I would have to think about hooking up the radiator for warming of the fluid. Blocking airflow in the winter is a great idea as long as you have a temp gauge to read it.
Alan

·
Registered
348 Posts
So I'm probably fine with or without the bypass as long as I keep the OEM cooler in the rad hooked up as well...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts