TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a 1996 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 non sc'ed

okay, so about a week ago i was driving when all of the sudden i noticed a slight vibration between about 1-2k rpm mostly on decel.. So i stop check it out a bit, everything seems to be normal. Go get a quick oil change just cuz im due for one, get it back still same problem..

I was supposed to drive to the southern tier that day, but ended up just leavin the car at work and gettin a ride down. Come pick it up the next day and the vibration is at least 10 times worse through all rpm's. Now its more of a violent shake, like the shake you'd get with a bad plug or two.

So first thing i think is misfire on a cylinder... WRONG. Pulled plugs and wires, plugs looked alright, normal tannish brown, couple were a little darker. Anyways replaced plugs and wires, NO CHANGE whatsoever. Checked oil/coolant no mixture of either is apparent, so i have semi ruled out headgasket/intake gasket also ruled out any misfiring, obviously. Someone on another forum mentioned broken motor mounts possibly?? how could i check that out?

Anyone got any ideas?? This is drivin me crazyy and its my only way of transportation to school/work.

Any suggestions you've got let me know, im about ready to scrap it.

·
Registered
917 Posts
check your wheels, make sure they're all tight, as well as wheel bearings. i have a broken motor mount and the vibration really isn't so bad, but if you're unfortunate enough to have 2 of them broken i'd get it fixed

·
Registered
892 Posts
The car is a 1996 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 non sc'ed

okay, so about a week ago i was driving when all of the sudden i noticed a slight vibration between about 1-2k rpm mostly on decel.. So i stop check it out a bit, everything seems to be normal. Go get a quick oil change just cuz im due for one, get it back still same problem..

I was supposed to drive to the southern tier that day, but ended up just leavin the car at work and gettin a ride down. Come pick it up the next day and the vibration is at least 10 times worse through all rpm's. Now its more of a violent shake, like the shake you'd get with a bad plug or two.

So first thing i think is misfire on a cylinder... WRONG. Pulled plugs and wires, plugs looked alright, normal tannish brown, couple were a little darker. Anyways replaced plugs and wires, NO CHANGE whatsoever. Checked oil/coolant no mixture of either is apparent, so i have semi ruled out headgasket/intake gasket also ruled out any misfiring, obviously. Someone on another forum mentioned broken motor mounts possibly?? how could i check that out?

Anyone got any ideas?? This is drivin me crazyy and its my only way of transportation to school/work.

Any suggestions you've got let me know, im about ready to scrap it.
Let's try and isolate this a little bit. Pretty hard to diagnose over the internet without more info.

1: Does the vibration occur while in nuetral?

2: If it occurs in nuetral does it get worse when you steadily rev the motor higher?

3: If it gets worse with steadily increasing revs does it any point smooth out? What rpm?

4: If the 1st 3 are true focus on the front belt area and accessories. Looking from the side with a flashlight rev the motor in same steady fashion and focus on the pulleys starting with the crank balancer. I have suffered with terrible vibrations from the balancer and moderate vibrations from the alternator and the water pump.

From a distance this is the 1st things to check.

Hope this helps.

Brad

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm assuming vibrations are when you are driving. If you are, severe vibrations can be tranny/motor mounts. U-joints, and tires. I dont know what else i'm missing but those are the major ones.

If you aren't moving and its vibrating severely its most likely the mount maybe harmonic balancer. If the vibrations happen because its misfiring, try egr, vacuum leaks, coil pack, check to make sure you are getting enough fuel... etc...

Anyway +1 on getting specifics how and when these vibrations occur

·
Registered
485 Posts
If the vibration is coming from the engine, check all your pulley's for being bent, cracked, or loose. Also make sure they all spin freely. Do a pressure check on the radiator and block while the engine is warmed up to temp. Another suspect would be fuel pressure. If your problem is not engine related. Check your lugnuts, wheel mounting surface, hub bearings, tie-rods. If its not in there either and you still cant find it take it somewhere for a Free estimate. Then take it home and fix it:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright, sorrry for not being too specific... its a rather rough vibration in any gear park, neutral, Drive, and Reverse. When in park if i steadliy rev it the vibrations get to be the worst between 1-2k and then become so fast its like sitting in a vibrating chair, has rattled my rear view mirror off.

I've ruled out head gasket and such as well as the misfire(at least in the plug/wire area) where is the EGR located on the 3.8 birds?

And yes i have checked the obvious, but since it happens in park/neutral as well, i know it has to be something within the engine bay.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

·
Registered
485 Posts
Maybe a spun bearing? or plugged oil gallery causing starvation? My dad always taught me after warming ii up to run a quart of kerosene in the crankcase for 15 minutes then change oil. To help with leaky valve seals or main seal warm up, put a quart of ATF in, run 15 minutes and change oil. You should not do both at once.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts