TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If im driving normal with the A/C I dont hear any noices. Just when I slightly get on the gas from a slow speed. Sounds like a belt slipping, but an ungly raspy sound.

When A/C is off the noice is totaly gone.

Any idears?

Thanks... Alex

·
Banned
538 Posts
time for a new belt. A/c motor is harder to turn when it's on, belt is slipping

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HotRod88LSC said:
time for a new belt. A/c motor is harder to turn when it's on, belt is slipping
but this belt has MAYBE 2,000 miles on it....

well I have a brand new belt in the trunk, ill change it see what happends....

Thanks

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
master486 said:
There is also the possibility that the tensioner is in need of replacement. Perhaps it's not applying enough tension on the belt anymore to keep it tight on the pulley. How long has it been since that was replaced?
Its got the stock tensioner since I bought the car new in late 2001. Car has 35,000 miles. Also this is the first time I use the AC again in a few months.

·
5,650 Posts
The stock tensioner should still have some life left on it then. That is unless you've been in hundreds of hours of traffic and even though it doesn't have high mileage it has tons of operating time.

You mentioned the belt only has 2,000 miles on it. Did this ever happen before your belt change? If not, I'd at the least swap with that belt you already have and see if it changes any.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
master486 said:
The stock tensioner should still have some life left on it then. That is unless you've been in hundreds of hours of traffic and even though it doesn't have high mileage it has tons of operating time.

You mentioned the belt only has 2,000 miles on it. Did this ever happen before your belt change? If not, I'd at the least swap with that belt you already have and see if it changes any.
Never happend before. Before this belt I had one that had a completly torn rib, one entire side.

I had an AC line crack, and it slowly leaked all the gas.... ran the AC a few times while it started blowing hot air and thats when I noticed the line was damaged. I wonder if the unit can become damaged from running with low or no frion.

·
5,650 Posts
awdRocks said:
I had an AC line crack, and it slowly leaked all the gas.... ran the AC a few times while it started blowing hot air and thats when I noticed the line was damaged. I wonder if the unit can become damaged from running with low or no frion.
Generally when a system is low on refrigerant, it will cycle on and off more often (or not at all if it's too low). If all of it leaked out, you would have no worries since it wouldn't have come on. There is a pressure switch that only closes when a certain operating pressure is reached within the system.

Damage would have been more likely if the system was over-filled or if it got too low on oil. If a line was cracked, there's a possibility that a lot of oil could have escaped. But at the same time, a lot of refrigerant would have escaped too, and the system wouldn't have been likely to be running very long in that state. It's kind of hard to say, but in most cases a lack of oil will be very audible, maybe not so much from the inside but surely on the outside of the car.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
master486 said:
Generally when a system is low on refrigerant, it will cycle on and off more often (or not at all if it's too low). If all of it leaked out, you would have no worries since it wouldn't have come on. There is a pressure switch that only closes when a certain operating pressure is reached within the system.

Damage would have been more likely if the system was over-filled or if it got too low on oil. If a line was cracked, there's a possibility that a lot of oil could have escaped. But at the same time, a lot of refrigerant would have escaped too, and the system wouldn't have been likely to be running very long in that state. It's kind of hard to say, but in most cases a lack of oil will be very audible, maybe not so much from the inside but surely on the outside of the car.
So what happends if its an oil problem? Do you refill oil somewhere?

·
5,650 Posts
If it's low on oil, you can buy an oil charge canister at any auto parts store. As long as you have the hose, you can hook it up to the low-pressure port while it's running and add oil to the system. It's not recommended to do so though unless it's for sure that the system is low on oil. If it is, the compressor will make all kinds of noise all the time when it's on. But noise from the compressor doesn't always mean low oil. It could be internally damaged or the clutch bearing could be in need of replacement. Overfilling the system with oil is not good for the system either.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok cool.

Thanks for the tips. Ill do a little diagnosing tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
awdRocks said:
ok cool.

Thanks for the tips. Ill do a little diagnosing tomorrow.
it was my tensioner...

im looking to switch to an 8 rib pully system... i get lots of belt slip up top. Any tips on doing a complete 8 rib change?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got the 8rip conversion figured out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts