TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Within the past week my 94' 4.6 has been stalling and hesitating like crazy. It stalled on my 3 times alone today. Sometimes it will idle fine, other times like when coming to a stop the RPMs will drop real low and the engine will almost stall out. I have to 2 foot it to keep it from stalling and sometimes that doesnt even work because nothing is happening when I hit the gas pedal. Other times it will stall out when going from reverse to drive the second I hit the gas the RPMs drop and the car dies. I have tryed using fuel injector cleaner and I checked all the plugs and all the usual suspects but nothing has helped.

Any suggestions will help because this is becoming a real problem when trying to drive and the car just stalls out while making a turn on a busy road.

Edit: I have also been getting really really bad MPG. Im only getting about 12 MPG and less then 200 miles to a tank of gas. I used to get around 18 and 250ish miles to a full tank.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
thatt is most likely the problem. Check all the rubber vacuum hoses for cracks...spray them with something, if it bubbles, you got your leak.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Check the vaccuum fitting at the back of the manifold. I think it's a T fitting. Mine was wasted from age and the car ran like crapola because of it. You may also want to check the IAC.

Jay

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Ya vac problem for sure.Check the the hose's coming out of the Throttle plenum.Good luck

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Im having the same proble,m p1402 aux emissions control (vacuum leaks) I fixxed 2.. the 2 on the back of the manifold, and another rubber hose on the other side of the manifold. It runs like crap, wont stay running, but it works fine at high RPM (when it finally gets there) The car was sitting for 2 years and i got it for 100 bux or so. I also pulled a p0172 too rich code, but i did clean the MAF and so far it hasn't come back up. Weird pulling a Rich code and a vacuum leak code at the same time... any suggestions? When I step on the gas, it just hesitates and doesnt want to move.. it will go in about 10 seconds and it will fly at high RPM's. ???

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
its on a sticker under the hood, by the latch release slider

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I checked the vacuum hoses that i could feel/see and all of them seemed to be fine. All of them were attached and not broken or worn out. Is there anything else that it could be?

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
did you check the brake booster, and the lines off of the plenum? maybe your 3 way line is cracked, it wouldn't be that uncommon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like intake manifold is about ready to $&!# itself. Either that or you have a vacumn problem. Check out the vacumn rom the PCV, the air inlet crossover the evap. canister, there are several vacumn line passenger side under the a/c hoses that go the front end and down to two electrical/vacumn switches. If its a vacumn lin and you can get to it repalce it! Use some CRC Heavy Duty Silicon Spray (WALMART) to protect it there out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WFO said:
Sounds like intake manifold is about ready to $&!# itself. Either that or you have a vacumn problem. Check out the vacumn rom the PCV, the air inlet crossover the evap. canister, there are several vacumn line passenger side under the a/c hoses that go the front end and down to two electrical/vacumn switches. If its a vacumn lin and you can get to it repalce it! Use some CRC Heavy Duty Silicon Spray (WALMART) to protect it there out.
I will check tommorow, I didn't even look down by the AC only by the PCV and the intake manifold and throttlebody.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the same issue.. if you follow the vacuum line from the PCV the hose goes to the passenger side of the engine to a tee. From the tee it goes to the drivers side of the throttle body (under the intake) I found it by wrapping my hand around the hose. I changed it and it fixed the problem. ( it used to fall on its face at heavy load) . Also if you are still running the stock intake assembly ( violin case) check the rubber boot that attaches the violin case to the throttle body. If you're not careful when putting it on.. it rolls up and you get an air leak.. . good luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could this be the problem? Is it even a vacuum line? Im assuming it is because it fits the description and if i follow it back it goes up and under the throttle body and im assuming down under the intake because it doesnt come out the other side.

It is pretty worn out and cracked all the way through.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
That line is attached to your PCV valve. You can replace it with regular vacuum hose. I might have a spare lying around that you can have.

Don't think you can get them from Ford anymore.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I threw some electrical tape on that bad boy but its hard to tell if it fixed it because it is fairly ghetto. i have know way of knowing if its leaking anymore but i don't hear the hiss it was making anymore but the car is still running like crap so im guessing it didnt seal it temporarily or there is another vacuum leak.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
If it were me, I would be looking at the IAC valve or MAF sensor next.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts