TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my 97 sitting in the driveway with a bad tranny and my alarm remote acting less then stellar I parked my car and manually locked both doors. I actually made sure they were locked yesterday morning out of random paranoia. This morning at 1am I decided to take out the garbage since my garbage guy is quick like a ninja and I wanted to make sure it would get taken out. I did this without my shoes on which forced me to walk down the driveway between both cars with the garbage instead of walking through the grass and getting my feet wet.

On my way back toward the house I noticed my drivers side door was ajar WTF?! I open the car and sure enough it's not locked. WTF!?!? I know it was locked I recently double checked that! So I open the door all the way and notice the center console is open WTF?!, but nothing is missing. Weird. I glance over and notice theres a cd on my passenger seat, cracked in half of course, damn! This leads me to the glove box, out of everything gone my blue ford zipper book with my insurance and registration cards are missing. Why would someone take that?!?! Also my valentine 1 radar detector is missing...S.O.B.! I check the back seat, nothing is gone a few shirts, some garbage I forgot to clean out, and under it all my binder full of CDs completely untouched. In the center console is my garage clicker right where I left it.

I button it all up and notice finger prints on my hood 2 sets of 4 no thumbs but not prints, just outlines, gloves, S.O.B.! I pop the hood and notice my battery cables are disconnected, not cut, cleanly disconnected. WTF!?!?

My only guess is that someone knew what they were doing and will be back which made me nervous. I reported it to the cops and my insurance. Tomorrow I'll call the DMV as well.

For the mean time I did a hasty job cleaning the garage and parked the 97 inside, I re-locked the car, manually locked the garage, disconnected the electronics, and dead bolted the slides locked from the inside.

Am I right to be this paranoid? They broke in without damaging anything. They stole only my radar and insurance/registration info, and possibly a cd or two. I'm worried they are/were going to come back either for the car or for the contents of the garage.

At my old place when my car was broken into I thought nothing of it, they broke a window and stole only half of my CDs, I didn't have a nice radio at the time (stock ford cd) or they probably would have taken that too. After that one I replaced the window and moved on without worry, but no one screwed around under my hood or took personal info. Just a standard plain jane smash and grab.

·
Registered
871 Posts
wow thats odd, either youve got one dumb criminal or some ciminal mastermind thats going to steal your identity and then take your car from you

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
That is weird, I would think they popped the battery to prevent an alarm from going off but you can't pop the hood unless you're already inside the car. maybe they thought there were motion detectors they hadn't set off. Thieves will take whatever they can carry easily and maybe thought something else was in the leather pouch and was just in a hurry.

A friend of mine had his brand new truck stolen out of his driveway once. He never knew till the cops were banging on the door at 3am because they found it in a bad neighborhood.

·
Registered
348 Posts
That sucks. Can you tell how they broke in? I hate car thieves. The same thing happened to me with my truck a few years ago. Took a huge binder of CDs, registration and a paystub. Thankfully my ss# wasn't on it. Hope it works out for you with the insurance company.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sucks. Can you tell how they broke in? I hate car thieves. The same thing happened to me with my truck a few years ago. Took a huge binder of CDs, registration and a paystub. Thankfully my ss# wasn't on it. Hope it works out for you with the insurance company.
Slim jim judging by the rub marks on the glass.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Sounds to me like they are preparing to steal the entire car, checked the glove box and book hoping for a title. Radar detector was just a freebie to them.
Alan

·
Registered
600 Posts
maybe they unplugged the battery so there wouldnt be lights inside the car. youre lucky they didnt mess something up, like the door handle or window.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Strange stuff. At least they didn't tear up your dash or bust out a window. Saves you a trip from the junkyard in 110 heat. Do you have a motion sensor light on your garage? It might be enough to keep people from messing with your cars in the future.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I wonder if it somewhat of an "inside job" maybe somebody some how connected to somebody else who has done some sort of work on the car (with all the things you have just done) Seems like they had very specific goals in mind, and it almost sounds like they might have had a key to your car...which is very scary. Also, the fact that they took personal information, the first thing I think of is that they are looking to pull some type of ID theft.

As much as moving sucks, maybe consider moving away from Las Vegas? I know that might not be practical.

Time for lowjack, a gun, and a mean dog. :thumbsup: I hate vandals & theives.

·
Registered
348 Posts
No kidding.

Must be a bad part of town. I thought everyone in Vegas was cool and upstanding.
That's the funniest thing I've heard all day :)

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
In tribute to Peter Falk, let me offer up my idea of what happened: (puts on trench coat, lights stogie) The perp thinks he's going to steal a battery. He gets in, thinks what the heck, let's see what's in the glove box. Grabs a fistful of stuff, crams it in his Burgler Bag, pops the hood, pulls the battery cables, then he sees someone moving around in the house. He shuts the hood, makes a break for it with your radar detector and manual, then you come outside and find it.

That or aliens.

Someone got in to my car (that I stupidly forgot to lock one time) a while back and made off with a fistful of burned CDs and a car charger. Kind of a lot of work for some burned hip hop mashup CDs and a $4 phone charger. My glove box was kind of hard to open, and they thought it was locked, so they pried it and I had to go hunt down another one. That was pretty irritating.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder if it somewhat of an "inside job" maybe somebody some how connected to somebody else who has done some sort of work on the car (with all the things you have just done) Seems like they had very specific goals in mind, and it almost sounds like they might have had a key to your car...which is very scary. Also, the fact that they took personal information, the first thing I think of is that they are looking to pull some type of ID theft.

As much as moving sucks, maybe consider moving away from Las Vegas? I know that might not be practical.

Time for lowjack, a gun, and a mean dog. :thumbsup: I hate vandals & theives.
I doubt it. The only place my car has ever been without my supervision is the body shop way back, the locks were changed afterword. I'm very paranoid about my keys to that one. Trust me, if I could find a decent job outside of Vegas for my fiancé and myself I'd be out of here in a hurry. Hmm lowjack is a thought, after last night I upgraded my insurance on the bird. As far as a gun I currently own a few, and as for a mean dog I have a 1 1/2yo Great Dane the size of a small horse, and a Belgium Malinois they are both incredibly loyal guard dogs, neither one made a sound. The person who broke into the bird had skill. I don't doubt at all what Alan said, they planned to come back for the whole car. It was premeditated.

you got crap luck lately man....
Tell me about it!

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I doubt it. The only place my car has ever been without my supervision is the body shop way back, the locks were changed afterword. I'm very paranoid about my keys to that one. Trust me, if I could find a decent job outside of Vegas for my fiancé and myself I'd be out of here in a hurry. Hmm lowjack is a thought, after last night I upgraded my insurance on the bird. As far as a gun I currently own a few, and as for a mean dog I have a 1 1/2yo Great Dane the size of a small horse, and a Belgium Malinois they are both incredibly loyal guard dogs, neither one made a sound. The person who broke into the bird had skill. I don't doubt at all what Alan said, they planned to come back for the whole car. It was premeditated.

Tell me about it!
The thing that gets me, is that the dogs did not make a sound...that is unusual. I wonder was their intention to steal the whole car last night and for some reason they decided not to...I don't know if this is true, but I have heard of people with a key ring of "master keys" for ford, GM, chrysler, etc. they use that to gain access to the car. Maybe cameras outside the house and some sort of DVR recording setup...

Speaking of moving, why not move to Texas...central texas is real nice, the economy is pretty good, there are jobs, it would certainly be an upgrade from LVNV...crime was one of the reasons I left CA...you saw where I lived, it was a nice place, but people where getting robbed left and right, which was not the norm there a few years prior.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts