TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i got a 95 4.6 v8 tbird with 133k on the ticker. I got the car at 120k and changed the fluid cause of some tranny shudder-this helped greatly.

NOW, 13k later ( a year) coming home from getting gas, i was on a side street and took a turn, i noticed the tranny slipped..the engine revved..then it hooked and i thought it was nothing. Off from a light i noticed this again, the engine revved to like 3k before it got going, with a small chirp from the tires. I pull onto a side street, check the fluid while the engine is running, it's fine, and it is still pink...no metal shavings/pieces etc....

Here's the fun part, i get in....put it in drive and i'm not going anywhere. Nothing worked, d, d with od off, 2nd, 1st, reverse, nothing. I shut the car and let it cool for like 10 minutes. Start her up, and the only way i got her moving was by hitting 4-5K then the tranny hooked, and smoked my tires alittle...but hey i had to get home. I drove a mile with the tranny acting really funny, i got shudder (dash shaking/metal strips run over etc) and it was still slipping BAD. NO OTHER problems until now, it happened all of a sudden. I thought tranny's go bad little by little..?

What is it, is it a band/gear in the tranny..? The tc maybe..? I don't want to go to my normal mechanic cause he'll just swap it out and say $1000 please.....i'd rather go to a tranny shop to get something replaced which i'm guessing is the problem.

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
There is a harness underneath the transmission, it's a big square plug... that harness get's tranny fluid in it, and it starts to act just like you said.. it feels like it goes into neiutral. Open the harness up and spray some carb cleaner in there, then use compressed air to get the rest out. Let it dry then hook it back up.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A harness...? I looked underneath and see nothing, btw the tranny does leak some fluid..like a drop or 2 every other day..sorry i didn't mention that, it leaks from the seals i'm pretty sure..or from the engine/trans meet area.

What does the harness look like..? Is it that round (bout an inch) plug looking thing under the tranny...?

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
You shifted thru all the gears when you checked the fluid, right? Sounds like it's sucking air...the 94-95 shallow pans were known for that. In 96 Ford updated the pans with a sump for the oil pickup.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't even understand though how it "just went bad". I thought you get symptoms, the od light blinks, slipping..etc.. It was like all of a sudden the tranny was slipping alot..as in rev up to 5k for it to engage.

Yes i did move through all the gears ( i read that on this site a while back) and the fluid is fine. I'll admit it, i am kinda hard on my car like alot of us, but nothing stupid like nuetral drops ya know. Just the occasional wot. Do yall think the tranny is completely f**ked..? Also ever since i got the car 1.5 years ago i noticed when putting the shifter from D to P it would get stuck in on R..then i'd have to just switch it into P after the quick hangup. I think that's kinda normal though with the linkage etc..

I just can't believe how good my tranny was for the longest time..then all in one shot it's like BAM. I'm without a car for a while.

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Just get your car on jack stands, and RIGHT by the transmission mount, there are a couple big wiring harnesses. right under the transmission. You can't miss them. You have to be under your car though, you wont see them from the side. Get the car in the air, and sit under the tranny.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah AnthraxBird i'm gonna do that tomorrow...lol i gotta borrow jack stands from my friend.

I REALLY hope that's the problem, i just took the car around the block and what it is doing is weird. It feels as if the car is in 1st (because of the engine braking) yet it goes thru the gears decent. It lacks acceleration it seams, from the tranny.

The only thing that IS suspicious is the fact that i had the back of the car on ramps, i was repairing an exhaust hole... The thing is, maybe cause it was tilted some tranny fluid somehow leaked out and got on the harness like you said..then again the car was driven for 3 days after that no probs.

I'm gonna tackle this tomorrow, i'll let you guys know exactly if it was the harness...thanks to all of you.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
do what he said to the harness except shove dielectric grease in it...my guess is you will need a transmission unit that works, yes they can go out like out of nowhere mine did, it was fine one day then the next boom pop slam lost 3rd &4th and i had to get her all built back up

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks alot everyone. It's gonna be done tomorrow and i'm gonna have a warranty on it (they didn't say how long though yet). I'm hoping on the rebuilt they're gonna stick in my car, they use aftermarket-stock parts..instead of using the genuine ford parts which suck and cost 3x as much.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
snow said:
Thanks alot everyone. It's gonna be done tomorrow and i'm gonna have a warranty on it (they didn't say how long though yet). I'm hoping on the rebuilt they're gonna stick in my car, they use aftermarket-stock parts..instead of using the genuine ford parts which suck and cost 3x as much.
why do that if ford stuff is cheaper?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts