TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, y'all - I need some advice from everybody.

A friend of mine has a black 1997 Thunderbird Sport. She just put new tires on it, the tires are the following:

Falken 225/60ZR16. Nice tires that would fit perfect on my Mark VIII (and it needs tires badly).

Tires look brand new. She blew a head gasket, she claims; several people have looked at it and say that is the problem. I know that is rare for a 4.6L, but she said it was knocking like a diesel when she noticed the needle buried in the H side.

Now she wants to sell the car. She hit a deer a few years ago, so the hood is kinked, a headlight broken, and the fender wrinkled. She is asking $800 which I already told her is WAY too much. She said she can get quite a bit of money by selling it for junk to which I replied, yeh - $300.

I'm thinking of buying it and either fixing it or parting it out. How much would you offer? What would you do?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Shooot .. for $500 I would take that car, I have been looking for a cheap 97 Sport V8 money pit.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
My 2 cents if you have a place to put it, Go for it ;)
x2

I was thinking to offer $400 and she'll probably take $500. Sound fair to you?
$500 is good, more if the Interior is in good shape. Aside that, there are lots of parts to pull. The list is long, for our cars its (to name some) the Alu Pumpkin, Lower Arm's, Axles and what not else. And then your new Tire's.

GL with all !

·
Super Moderator
10,404 Posts
My bet is it's not a headgasket, but the intake gasket.

I've fixed 4 of them, lol.

Both of the successful ones involved a pi swap; The new npi gaskets (on both cars) would not seal due to corrosion on the head at the intake gasket seal surface.

As the pi gaskets seal in different places, it wasn't a problem. Also, RTV seals all, lol.

If you part it out, I'll have a list; you're fairly close... :D

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
x2

$500 is good, more if the Interior is in good shape. Aside that, there are lots of parts to pull. The list is long, for our cars its (to name some) the Alu Pumpkin, Lower Arm's, Axles and what not else. And then your new Tire's.

GL with all !
The 1997 Sport Birds have aluminum pumpkins?

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
The 1997 Sport Birds have aluminum pumpkins?
Ummm, no.... they don't. Unless it's be replaced with a mark viii or cobra pumpkin.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Depends on how bad the damage is from the deer I would say 400-500 is a fair price. Might wanna call the junk yard and see how much they would give for it then just offer her a little more? Shes gonna have a hard time selling it to anyone else especially with a blown head gasket..

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
If you can get it for $500.00 to $700.00 then there should be nothing else to say, other then "Parts for Sale"!
No offense NET, but you here since 2009.
All the best with your decision.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts