TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a trouble code of 214 on my 94 3.8 I heard that it a camshaft sensor. I went looking for a camshaft sensor for the 3.8 and all I found were camshaft sensors for the SC and 4.6.. Did they not make one for the 3.8 NA?? What can 214 code mean then?

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
I don't know what code 214 is, but I can tell you that on a 94, you didn't have a cam position sensor unless you had a SC. In place of the CPS is your distributor.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
ok, i just loaded up one of my service cd's for a 95 (same system).

NOTE:
Key On Engine Running (KOER) DTC 244 (for Probe only) indicates a Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor DTC 214 has been stored in Keep Alive Memory. This was detected during Cylinder Balance DTM.

Continuous Memory DTC 214 indicates an error has been detected in the Cylinder Identification (CID) input signal. The error could be due to a hard fault or an intermittent condition.

Possible causes:

-- Open or shorted harness.

-- Damaged Camshaft Position (CMP)/Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor.

-- Damaged Ignition Control Module (ICM) (if equipped).

-- Damaged Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Will engine start?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah engine starts and runs. When i scaned it it read Cylinder identification citruit failure.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
you wont have a crank sensor either, but the code does indicate the ignition control module, which is what that wiring harness runs to on your distributor. It sits inside the distributor underneath the cap. Does the car run then spontaneously turn off after it warms up?
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no it runs fine...but the check engine light will come on and then about 45 mins later it will turn off. It does feel like it runs funny at certain moments. Like it misses at times. Not sure how else to explain it.

·
8,978 Posts
yeah, the ignition control module unit will do that. When they go bad, they overheat and stop working, in turn turning off the motor, because it loses spark.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so i will change that out. So it is under the coil pack box?? How much do those run? any idea?

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Hey guys, he could very well have a DIS ignition setup on his 94. In 94-95, California Emissions 3.8L NA MN12's had DIS ignition setups.

I actually have one of the 94 Cali Emissions Cougars here at my place. I used the EEC from it to run my 94 Splitport LX.

-Rod

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
do you have a distributor or a coil pack? round or rectangluar where the plug wires go to?

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
ok, then you have a cam position sensor and a crank position sensor... do me a favor, come into the chat room, will be alot easier.

www.tccoa.com/chat

·
8,978 Posts
yeah I thought about that just now when I realized your car is californian. california cars from 94-95 had DIS.
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok 214 is back. Drove the car today and within 5 mins the CE light was back. The car struggles off the line but one it is moving all is normal. So what year sensor do I need? Local parts store dont show one for a 94 3.8 NA. ????

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
You probably just need to replace the cam sensor. You'll want one for a 94 3.8L SC (since the parts stores won't show one for your NA). The SC one will be identical.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok so do you really think that the SC one will work? I thought they are different blocks. Does the 96/97 3.8 n/a have a cam sensor?

·
8,978 Posts
they are different blocks, but they have the same mounting spot for the cam sensor, make sure you ask for the 94-95 SC sensor. They probably couldnt find it because your car is very rare (california DIS). I know my oreilly software asks wether its california equippped or not when it makes a difference but perhaps they dont have that info in their software.
-Thomas

1 - 20 of 24 Posts