TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First snow and real cold when I left for work my power steering was extremely stiff and I could barely turn. Had to go but this am drive was only ten minutes, never got power steering to work.

Ran to the corner on break bought PS fluid dumped her in and it pissed out from the front center area of rack where there is something that prodrudes out(steering gear area??)

Now I have to leave in a few minutes on a 45min drive without any fluid. If the rack is screwed I don't care it's done and I can get home, but will no fluid in the pump cause a bearing to seize or are the pump bearings not lubed with PS fluid.

If I'm definitely going to blow something let me know. If it's 50/50 fine. Hopefully you'll tell me it can be done without any more damage than is already done. For the record I have driven about 10 mins with no fluid in the entire system.

Help please I need to make a decision in the next 15 mins.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I lost all my PS fluid on my way to Cali. In southern orgeon there was a loud bang of something bouncing under my car. I pulled over to find the pulley snapped off and a dangling belt. I drove it to the next town and had to stay the night until i could get a belt to bypass the pulley the next day. So yes it will sieze and the pulley will snap off!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If anyone cares I made it to my 45 min away destination. I started the car and drove 10 min to CanaTire where I bought a 5 gallon jug of ATF and proceeded to hit the hwy(at 120km/h no less) and stopped every 10 mins about or every second exit and dumped about a quart of fluid in the reservoir and down thru the system to cool the bearing(if there is even a bearing there). I stopped in total 4 times on an 85km trip and the final(5th) flush was in my yard where I gave it a larger amount engine on and off.

I was lucky to have my family following me and it was very cold every time I stopped. This was not a very relaxing drive or environmentally friendly drive, but I am happy the car is home(garage) and I will get under there to try and see the defective part when I get a chance.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
2,871 Posts
glad that you made it safely. stuff like that is never fun. SOunds like you need a new steering rack though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts