TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, im looking to buy a Mark VIII, i was wondering what year i should look for, or if its like the tbirds where some years were alot better then the others. Do all of them have the 32 Valve Intech V8s and whats the difference between a regular Mark VIII and a LSC Mark VIII. Thanks

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
LiNkInPaRkFaN4LiFe said:
Hey, im looking to buy a Mark VIII, i was wondering what year i should look for, or if its like the tbirds where some years were alot better then the others. Do all of them have the 32 Valve Intech V8s and whats the difference between a regular Mark VIII and a LSC Mark VIII. Thanks
they all have 32v intechs. the differance between the lsc's and regular marks is basically just an appearance package and the lsc's come sticok with true dual exhaust which gives them 290 hp instead of 280 like the base mark 8's. i personally would go with a 96 lsc if you can find one. its still a first gen mark 8 so its quick and it has hid lights. the 97/98's all have hid lights but they are not as fast and weigh more than the gen 1 mark 8's. the 97/98 lsc's are the best looking in my opinion cuz they have the color matched grill and cladding as opposed to chrome. but gen 2 marks (97/98) are about a half second slower than the gen 1's (93-96) in the 1/4 mile.

Frank

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would be a reasonable price for a Mark VIII, i looked at a 96 yesterday, it was white and had 101,000 miles on it. It had a few scratches in it, but the airbag light was blinkin on and off and the anti-lock light was on. They wanted $6,995 for it.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Go over to www.markviii.org and do a little reading, everything you need is there as to problems to look for. Everything posted so far is good, the LSCs also have a 3.27 rear end and the Gen 1 LSCs have the HIDs, though some of the 95 (late production) ones supposedly had the HIDs retrofitted to halogens, I can't imagine why. You can still buy HIDs for any Gen 1 but it'll cost you a grand for new ones and Sylvania has announced they aren't making the bulbs and ballasts any more. I'd seriouly consider looking for a car with them already in it if you drive at night, the stockers are *weak* even with Silverstars in. $7k is too high for that one... better examples in better shape around. Be sure you check the air suspension, that can get a little pricey to fix unless you're one of the folks that's happy with converting to springs - in which case you may as well get a 'Bird and swap some Mark seats in it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Great answer doodaa.

I have had 3 mark VIII's in less than a year. I have also helped my buddy find/buy a 93, so that almost makes 4. Here's the low-down.
93(first year) agressive ECU programming, one-piece drive shaft, sparce interior(no wood grain).
94-wood grain, agressive ECU programming, new 2 piece drive-shaft(vibrations at high mph).
95-softer interior leather, more wood grain, slightly less agressive ECU programmin, introduction of LSC model=true-dual exhaust(10hp), stiffer suspension, no body-side chrome.
96- less agressive ECU programming, LSC package available, as well as Diamond Anniv. model available, introduction of HID lights on all LSC's, arm rest in rear seat.
97-all new body style/interior design, coil-on-plug ignition, new generation of air suspension, HID's standard on both base/LSC models.
98-few changes from 97 except all new transmission with major internal upgrades, new exclusive models available including Collectors edition, and Spring feature car.

Price is going to depend on geography, miles, repairs/upgrades, conditions, history. Also, there are numerous "options" available. The more the better(I think). Nothing worse than buying a Mark VIII, and finding out it didnt come with "this or that". You dont want to have any regrets. There are enough of them out there that you can afford to 'wait" for the right one. trust me.

Keep a look out for dropped front ends, dripping self-tintin mirrors, clouded headlight lenses, yellow HID bulbs(when on), non-working tail light neon (gen 2 only), and harsh shifting transmissions(93-97) due to older style shift accumulator components.

basically, find one in a color you like(dont settle. There were plenty of cool colors available), and drive it. Drive it hard. These were 280-290 hp cars with plenty of torque, semi-decent brakes, and excellent handling. There is a "message center" on the dash. Drive it hard enough to find out if there are any problems. if the seller doesnt want you thrashing his/her car, dont buy it. There may be an "issue" at higher speeds(air suspension drops, etc).

I am sure there are more pro's and con's, but this should give you a guideline.

Just take your time. A hi mile 93 is about $2800, and a low mile 98 is about $14k
good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts