TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my SC about a month ago, and I knew it needs work. But I had it checked by a mechanic today to see if the previous owner was right about what he told me was wrong with it..he said it needs a egr valve, thats whats throwing the misfire.

Well, the shop told me that the egr valve wouldn't cause it, and I've been told by friends that it could cause the misfire, because the vacuum hose could be carbon blocked....

Then, I find out by the shop that I have a spun bearing in my supercharger...how can I tell, should it act funny? And how much is that to get fixed, generally? I have a spare supercharger in my garage that I could use, I would just like to see what kind of a ballpark figure on that.

Thanks for any help in advance!

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
If you have a spare supercharger, just swap that one on, it will be cheaper and easier than replacing the bearings in the one you have. Either that, or you could get a blower from magnum powers and step up the power quite a bit.

As for the EGR causing the misfire, it is possible, but highly unlikely. In theory, if the EGR comes on when its not supposed to, it could cause the engine to miss, but it would only miss at idle, and as the rpms went up, it would be perfectly smooth, but just down on power. The EGR tube being blocked with carbon won't cause a misfire, it would just cause the EGR valve to not put any exhaust gases into the intake, which would be like not having EGR at all. I would first check the plugs and wires, and maybe do a compression test on it to track down your misfire.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, will do.

Do you know about how much it would cost to fix bearings in my blown supercharger?

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Replacing the bearings is basically part of a complete blower rebuild. Most likely, if you could even find a shop willing to do it, it would cost more to have your blower rebuilt than to just buy a rebuilt one. Or the other option is to do it yourself. There really isn't anything to a blower, just pull it apart, replace the bearings, and put it back together.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I would like to know what it was doing that they suspect a spun bearing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To me, it was nothing abnormal, but keep in mind it also has a misfire..so I have a couple things I need to do a better diagnosis on. Hopefully thats just a bad spark plug/wire and can be easily fixed.

I just wish I could tell if the supercharger in my garage is working so it can go on my car...fingers crossed..

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
The blower will tell you if it's on the way out. They tend to get louder. If it's nice and smooth to turn makes little to no noise (not with your foot in it) no excessive play, I would say it's probably ok.

As for the miss. Do start simple. Is it a constant miss or a every once in awhile drop off?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey carlen good luck with the sc. I was the one you met at the amaco you work at. I have the silver sc.

Ya, I remember you man..

The car is kind of rough at idle, then smooths out, then rough again at about 2100rmps to about 2700rpms, then smooths out again..I was driving it the other day and got above 2700 in 2nd then went WOT and the darn SC hiccuped right before I went to shift...then a couple hours later after about two miles of WOT it died, wouldn't start, then finally did and the SC was making a horrid noise....There is a cable you can pull on the back of the SC, and when my friend did that, it didn't do anything but make a low choking noise..:confused:

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Ya, I remember you man..

The car is kind of rough at idle, then smooths out, then rough again at about 2100rmps to about 2700rpms, then smooths out again..I was driving it the other day and got above 2700 in 2nd then went WOT and the darn SC hiccuped right before I went to shift...then a couple hours later after about two miles of WOT it died, wouldn't start, then finally did and the SC was making a horrid noise....There is a cable you can pull on the back of the SC, and when my friend did that, it didn't do anything but make a low choking noise..:confused:
Horrid like a rattle?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The noise is more like a pulley gone nuts, screeching..the car died the first time it did it..then I got it started about 10 min later, and it made it back home. Then parked it, and my friend pulled on the cable on the back of the SC (No, its not the throttle cable) and it didn't do anything. My friend said it's supposed to do something, I assume make boost?
I'll try to get a video of what it's doing tomorrow after I get off work. Might be able to help, I was just upset that it happened and can't remember much. :(

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
I think they are pulling on the bypass valve to open it at idle. If that is the case, then no it won't have any effect at idle, and it also doesn't tell you anything about what is wrong with the car. If you want to determine for sure if the noise is in the blower, take off the belt. The car will run fine without the blower belt on, and if the noise goes away doing that, then you know its in the blower. If you pull the blower belt off, and you still have that noise, then it is coming from something else, possibly one of the front accessories. If the noise goes away with the blower belt off, it could still be one of the tensioners, or the jackshaft pulley. Usually when a blower bearing goes out, it will make a moaning/grinding sound. What you are describing sounds like something else.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks man, I will give that a shot tommorrow. I would like to get it running smooth before I leave for basic training, it will be sitting for 3 months and I'd like to be able to drive it when I get back..any idea's on the rough idle at certain rpm's, besides having my mechanic diagnos the misfire cause?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Thanks man, I will give that a shot tommorrow. I would like to get it running smooth before I leave for basic training, it will be sitting for 3 months and I'd like to be able to drive it when I get back..any idea's on the rough idle at certain rpm's, besides having my mechanic diagnos the misfire cause?
If you get a chance, do a WOT run and see if it misfires during that. I had the same symptoms as you, but it also misfired during WOT. Fix? Turned out two wires were arcing, and one spark plug had a nice crack in the porcelain.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I had it running before the SC really started to go, I did run WOT, and right before I shifted into 3rd gear, the SC dropped from 10psi to 3 or so, while still on the throttle, and the Check Engine light kicked on...:confused:

I was hanging out with friends after work today, I'll get around to the vid and pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The codes it threw, my friend has at his shop, he just hasn't gotten back to me on what they were. I'll try to get that too. Would probably help here....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
You bought a high mileage car that has a misfire.

Did you try sparkplugs and wires? Thats _Always_ the first place to start. Gap them correctly.

Your blower dropped from 12psi to 3 psi.... First thig's first... Is the gague accurate? (Did you notice a change in noise and engine power)

Two things can cause that - Something dragging down the blower, and the belt just slipping on it (Not very likely) or the bypass valve opening.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The engine definitely dropped off too, wasn't just the blower. I'll check on the pulley and belt though, thanks for the help.

The previous owner said he had the motor rebuilt, and new plugs and wires put in, along with a new MAF, Coil Pack, coolant sensor (I can't remember which exact part of the cooling system) and it needed an EGR valve to fix the misfire...but a shop told me egr was fine. So I'm just waiting on my mechanic friend to have time to check it all out for me.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Missing. Plugs and wires. But if the blower is acting up and boost is all over the place (see squeal below) the car would run strange.

Squeal. I might guess the blower is freezing up and that is belt squeal you hear.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts