TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a check engine light come on. My car is a 96 Thunderbird LX with the 4.6 engine. My car is dealer maintained for the large jobs so I had them pull the code and do the repair. They charged me $400. They reprogrammed the computer to latest code and they cleaned the mass airflow sensor. They claim that the "code" shows my catalatic converter emmisions to be high. How can this be when there is no sensor past the catalatic converter to measure this? The car was delivered back to me with the check engine light off and now it has come back on. They say that the next step is to buy new catalatic converters for $1200 parts and labor. They tell me that the aftermarket coverters only have 2 chamber and will fail emmissions because they are less effective. What to do? Is there an aftermarket computer available that doesn't deliver bogus error conditions? I know my car will pass exhaust inspection handily, it has done so every year since new. Any modifications that might make the light go off? cell phone 214 435-9839

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
are there emission test over there in texas...if not...hell with it, buy two MILs and get rid of the cats...or just replace with the high flow ones...never take it to the dealer...buy two new cats on ebay, and go to a muffler and throw them on...but thats if u even need to replace the cats...as fordfanatic said above...check the o2's...that might be a good start...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts