TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I start my Cougar, the engine immediately revs to 3500 rpms.
When I disconnected the aii inlet from the throttle body, the rpms drop, but the idle is rough! I assume this is caused by the fact the maf is not in the air stream
all vacuum lines apear to be ok. The check engine light does not come on unles the air inlet is removed. Any suggestions?

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
look up by the throttlebody and look at the cables connected to it. one of them is connected via a grommet and is lower than the other two, take a look at the grommet, chances are its busted, letting that lower cable get stuck and sending the revs up to 3500

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
redneckcougarguy, the cable that you're speaking of is the TV cable, which he wouldn't have on his 94 Cougar (89-93's have the TV cable for the AOD transmission).

mobbclicc, it's very likely that you're problem is the IAC (idle air control) solenoid. It's located on the top of the throttle body on your car. Try unplugging the electrical connector to it. If rpm's don't drop (the car shouldn't run with the IAC unplugged), you have a bad IAC.

It's a pretty common problem on the 3.8's.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The IAC probably is the problem, but take it off, there is an accordian looking piece inside, if it is cracked/broken the RPMS will be higher than they should.

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
racecougar said:
redneckcougarguy, the cable that you're speaking of is the TV cable, which he wouldn't have on his 94 Cougar (89-93's have the TV cable for the AOD transmission).

-Rod
yeah i feel like an *** now.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Possibly the MAF?

Just a wild thought and not likely, but is anything hittinh the throttle when the air inlet is attached?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts